new PSU opinions wanted

Just remember that XFX and Asus put stickers on the screws meaning you can't even properly clean your heatsink and repaste without voiding said warranty. Since you're so dead set on warranty I suggest buying a different manufacturer besides the above two and simply buy new.

I thought XFX was fine with modding/overclocking/disassembly? They were with nVidia, at least. Did that change when they switched to AMD?

I've already given my educated guess since I've dealt with Gigabyte a lot in the past. Just assume the answer is no. Even if they did, the turn around for an RMA from them can take up to 6 weeks or sometimes they can even lose your damn part. I make it a point to stray away from GB.

Never had an issue with them when I sent my motherboard in for RMA. Was fairly quick turnaround time as well. This was back on a 775 board, though, so it's possible they've changed.

I thought XFX was fine with modding/overclocking/disassembly? They were with nVidia, at least. Did that change when they switched to AMD?

Never had an issue with them when I sent my motherboard in for RMA. Was fairly quick turnaround time as well. This was back on a 775 board, though, so it's possible they've changed.
Scroll up to the Newegg link of the 280x and then look at the back of the card. XFX and Asus have started putting stickers on the screws to prevent customers from removing the heatsink. This voids the warranty if removed even to do basic cleaning.

My last 2 experiences with them were P67a and P55. So 1156 and 1155. Lucky for me the P67a was for a friend and he just went and bought an ASRock Z77. The P55 was my own board that my i5 sits in. First they tried telling me they never recieved it. After a few calls to the PO they confirmed their office got the product and somebody signed off on it. 2 weeks later (after several nasty calls) I finally got a confirmation they got my board and they shipped another one 2 weeks later. 6 ****ing week turnaround. My friend with the P67 board didn't bother calling and said if they actually send a new one back he'll sell it.

Apparently XFX started doing that around the same time they killed off their Double Lifetime Warranty.

They actually only recently started doing it from what I can remember with the 7000 series. Double lifetime was killed during the swap to 6000 series.

They actually only recently started doing it from what I can remember with the 7000 series. Double lifetime was killed during the swap to 6000 series.

Yeah, the article I just read said it happened with the introduction with the 7000 series. They removed the Double Lifetime Warranty as well as added the void stickers.

It was actually a case of using that warranty with my 5770s when I realized a few things. I'm done with ATI/AMD, XFX RMA department now sucks balls, I hate Crossfire, and XFX quality has degraded terribly since Nvidia days.

Agreed. XFX used to be the "Golden brand" for system builders when they were nVidia... XFX was my primary choice, with EVGA after that.

Their issue currently IMO is using shoddy PCB standards because typically getting a rev 1 card is fine but a rev 2 or further tends to crap out or have issues. Just basing that on my own experience with their AMD line of cards recently.

Sooooo glad I am not in a hurry as my 560ti ( 448 core) is still hanging in there and I am playing at 1080P and med to high settings. As I continue to read/research and "shop" I am wondering if I should just wait until the Sapphire 3 fan cards ( vaporX or Toxic) go on sale to around $300 or wait until the Evga 770's come down in price to $300. My 2 teenagers are in a bit of a hurry as they are running with 5770's (in crossfire ) in the one PC and a 6850 in the other- they are both AMD fanboys.

Back
Top Bottom