Right Clicking Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RZ4

Beta member
Just yesterday, I realized that whenever I try and right click on any file (within or separate from a folder), instead of having the usual right click menu come up, it stops, and everything on the screen disappears, and after a couple seconds, I'm kicked back to my desktop.

The weird thing is, if I right click on any individual folder, this doesn't happen, and the menu comes up normally. And some of my shortcuts on my desktop are actually accessible with right clicking, but most aren't. Any file though, be it an mp3, or a Word document or a video file - the menu after right clicking on them never appears, and it always sends me back to the desktop. Another thing to note, even when I use the right click key on my keyboard (next to the Windows key on the right side), it still garners the same result, which is kind of interesting, and makes me think that the problem very likely isn't with just my mouse.

I have no idea what the problem could be, but it happens on all of my user accounts in Windows XP, and only within the Windows Explorer environment (other programs, internet, etc. the right clicking is completely fine). I have a Dell Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse, and I even went through the trouble of opening it up and completely cleaning out any dust I could find between the creases. I then downloaded and installed the appropriate Logitech drivers from their site, after uninstalling my current drivers. Neither of those things helped at all. And the same result occured with the Microsoft Intellipoint 4.0 drivers.

I would greatly appreciate any input or advice at all about this problem. Thanks in advance.

It's a Dell Optical USB Mouse.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/images/products/310-4073.jpg

But the thing is, I kind of think that it's more of a software problem than a hardware one, given what I said before about the right click key on the keyboard and all.

Either way, I just did a full system scan with Ad-Aware SE, and Spybot and found nothing, so that takes care of that. Yet the problem is still there.

if your Dell mouse came with any software, uninstall it, it may have added things to the menu which for some reason are not working
Windows should operate your mouse without the software

if that doesn't work, try a repair install to rewrite any .dll's that may be causing the problem
reboot, put in the XP CD, press enter at the first screen, and go through until after it says "checking for previous versions of Microsoft Windows" then press 'r'

My daughters computer does that when i double click on the mouse left click.Im just going to format and reinstall windows XP Ive tried to fix it for a few weeks.Gave up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom