Will this Motherboard support Win XP?

narpuppy

Baseband Member
I am upgrading a computer for a friend. The machine he has now is so old that I can't upgrade it without buying already outdated parts because everything is an older connection (2 notches in ram, ribbon cables for hard drive/cd-rom, ect.) so I figured I might as well just get a new motherboard, processor, ram, cd-rom, and hard drive. I will use the windows xp key from his current prebuilt machine.

I am just wondering if the motherboard I am thinking of getting for him is compatible with windows xp. I like this motherboard because it has DVI, VGA, and HDMI, and is on a combo deal with the processor I'm getting. From what I have found on the Gigabyte website XP is not listed on the supported operating systems, but in the motherboard manual I found a part that says:

Limit CPUID Maximum (Note)
Allows you to determine whether to limit CPUID maximum value. Set this item to Disabled for Windows XP
operating system

This makes me think that maybe I can use XP on this board, please let me know what you guys think.

Links:
GA-H81M-HD2 and Haswell Pentium G3220: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Manual: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-h81m-hd2_e.pdf

Last edited:
Gigabyte does not have any driver support on their website for XP, but that doesn't mean it won't run. You just won't have drivers for most of the items on the board for it to run properly.

Thanks for the reply. I will go with an ASUS motherboard. I noticed that XP is also not listed as supported on their website, but when you go to their drivers section for the board windows xp 32 and 64 bit are available.

I just went through that, a customer came in with a dead MB I3 system that was running XP and everything that ran XP has been discontinued so I got him a Gigabyte board and told them they'll need to buy a copy of windows 7 or 8 so I installed win 7 with my reg and when he gets his copy I'll update the reegistration. Have not connected it to the net yet so registration won't get marked as used.

Dauntae

Last edited:
You can buy a Windows 7 OEM Home Premium for around $80, I would consider getting that and installing it instead of Windows XP. As you may know, Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, and you may have a hard time getting drivers for XP. Windows 7 would probably work a lot better, especially if you go with 4 GB and use the 64bit version of Windows 7.

You could have just not registered it. He has 30 days to get it done.

Would of done that BUT I have no idea what his kids will do if the register thing comes up, I also screwed up and clicked the wrong thing LOL But I still have it on the shelf waiting for him to pick up his copy to register.

Yea a copy of win 7 isn't too bad for price, Once you are used to 7 XP seems so strange and dated LOL Every time I go on a system with XP I feel like im going back in time, So used to the newer windows, AND I even have a system I still use with XP

He's got kids as young as 7, A message won't do a thing LOL This PC is a gaming system for his kids, He still has his and his wife's PC so no real rush on this one, This is the one I was looking for the 7770 a while back for, so a low end gaming rig. Also his wife's brother who is mentally challenged lives with them and he wouldn't pay any attention to the message. I would just rather play it safe and keep it until he gets a new copy.

Dauntae

Back
Top Bottom