cpu repair

terryhammer

Beta member
hi
was wondering if it is possible to repair cpu, i have a i7 processor & under magnification i can see that 3 of the links? or whatever they are in the centre of the underside if the cpu have broken off,:upset: i am sure this is the only fault.
As this is a expensive cpu was hoping it may be possible to repair.

screwed.jpg
'd

I wonder if there's any value in broken i7 processors. Maybe for collection purposes or wearable items?

Gold salvage/recovery is the biggest one. That's the biggest reason why people throw them up on eBay.

Too bad prices are "high" for bad/old CPU's, because I want to make a coffee table someday with CPU's inside and clear filler or glass on top of it so you can see down into it.

The underside of an LGA processor is smooth. Are you saying that 2 of the contacts on the bottom are missing? Or are you referring to the pins in the motherboard?

Out of curiosity, How did they get broken off???

Carelessness is the only thing I can think of. If the CPU arrived like that from an order, you would be able to return it, especially if you have not yet applied cooling paste and it is brand new in box. (Worst case, you can get your money back through your credit card company).

What most likely happened is that the cpu bottom was unprotected for a time, either got dropped, or was bumped into something (whether or not on the mainboard) that bent or broke a few pins.

The topic starter is indeed out of luck, a repair like that is not possible. A new CPU will have to be purchased i'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom