Need some help with budget gaming build

Thanks.

This comp is not for me so I don't need to save for bills...well I do but that's a different story, this is for a friend. I'm just donating some parts I have to it (mobo, psu, hdd, etc...).

I'm a bit confused, you're recommending I get another psu on top of the one I have just in case that one fails? I'm friendly but not friendly enough to stock pile parts as backups for friends...not to mention this guy lives 8 hours drive away so if anything fails I'm not the one he's calling for loaner parts.

Thanks for the help guys.

Your first reply in this topic sounded like the machine was for you directly. :/
Thats why I recommended a psu for you, plus you said you wanted to sell your current mobo ? o0
Yeah that would make me think your buying it for you, whoever its for though more power to you.

Enjoy building the machine.

Yeah, it was a bit confusing. It's a close friend that a few of us are pitching in to build a computer for as he's got a lot on his plate and financially is on a tight budget. We all play online with him but his old x2 3600+ just can't handle it anymore and is constantly crashing him. So pitching in I have that mobo that I was selling on kijiji that I could instead donate to his build, same with the psu, hdds, dvd, etc...

So at this point we're thinking of going with the higher end cpu/mobo combo and cheaper gpu. I know for gaming that doesn't make sense but we're thinking of system longevity. He won't be doing any new system builds for a very long time so we were thinking it would be easier to upgrade the gpu in a year or two rather than the cpu/mobo combo.

Make sense? Agree/disagree?

So right now we're leaning towards that 650ti because the price is very good and could be flipped down the road for minimal losses. My psu because it's free. So that leaves:

- mobo/cpu combo
- ram

So right now looking at these options:

1) 1150 build: $50 over budget that we can probably scrounge up
- 4430, asus z87 (or another one around the $150-160), 8gb ram

2) 1155 build with my mobo: $50 under budget
- 3570k, gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 6gb ram,

Forget the Z87 board as it's wasted practically on somebody without a budget to use it. You could stick with that i5, go with the Asus H81 and 8GB of RAM to keep it within budget. Higher amount of RAM is necessary since DDR4 is right around the corner. DDR3 prices will sky rocket soon.

Forget the Z87 board as it's wasted practically on somebody without a budget to use it. You could stick with that i5, go with the Asus H81 and 8GB of RAM to keep it within budget. Higher amount of RAM is necessary since DDR4 is right around the corner. DDR3 prices will sky rocket soon.

Nice catch, that should have said 8gb, brain fart on my part.

Thanks

[edit]H81--> two dimm slots always feels wrong to me :p[/edit]

Last edited:
Sure, but it can hold 16GB of RAM which is more than plenty and should be for quite a while. If it makes you feel any better, I just recently went from 64 to 16GB myself.

Back
Top Bottom