Clean WD40 off of System Board

ulater6000

Daemon Poster
When trying to clean up my Xbox system board and remove surface flux prior to reflowing it, I mixed up the RadioShack brand electronics cleaner with RadioShack brand lubricating spray (essentially WD40) and soaked the system board with it.

What's the best way to clean the oil residue from the WD40 coating the board off? I was thinking maybe a 50/50 mix of Isopropyl and hot water and then spraying the board with it?

This is definitely up there with some of the stupidest things I've ever done.

-Thanks!

Last edited:
erm well it's not easy, a alcohol soaked cotton bud (q-Tip) following the traces should get it off but make sure it's evaporated before using the system.

But how the living hell did you get WD40 OVER electronics?

The guy who was showing me how to use the reflow machine pointed to the can (only one on the counter) and said "spray it down with that electronics cleaner and get the board clean and flux off with it before starting the reflow" It's my fault for blindly assuming he knew exactly what that can was and then spraying my entire board with it before realizing it was essentially wd40.

I don't like using cotton anything since it snags on the leads and leaves fuzzies. Can I just run my board through the dishwasher with no soap if I let it dry in rice over the weekend?

de-natured alcohol should get the WD-40 off from it, just douche the snot out of it, be sure you do this outside and away from any sources of ignition. Then let it dry thoroughly before powering it up. Not sure but I think WD-40 is supposed to be non-conductive.....but don't take my word alone on that

Veggie oil is non-conductive....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pqGgHhvke0

Last edited:
Interesting, I've never heard of denatured alcohol until now. Can I just use Isopropyl or is denatured better for cleaning electronics?

Interesting, I've never heard of denatured alcohol until now. Can I just use Isopropyl or is denatured better for cleaning electronics?

IMO, I'd use at least 90% Isopropyl alcohol, and since you said you don't like using cotton, use coffee filters. They're non-lint, don't snag, and you can get a crap-ton for cheap.

It's what I use to clean thermal paste off of CPU's/heatsinks.

Another option, soft bristle nail brush with soapy warm water. Wash and rinse carefully like the board is fine china and let it sit in a well ventilated area for at least 48 hours.

I vote on a bristle brush and plenty of 91% or stronger MEDICAL (usually has a red label instead of blue, do not get any that has dyes in it) grade alcohol. Soak the board in the alcohol, brush every bit of it gently, then soak some more, and brush more, repeat till the oily residue is eliminated, then allow 48 hours to completely dry.

Back
Top Bottom