Need some help with budget gaming build

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So have been a bit out of it for a while and am building a budget gaming rig for a friend. Looking for opinions on how best to spend the money.

I DON'T need: Hdds, case, DVD

I DO need:
- cpu:
- ram:
- gpu:
- psu:
- mobo:

I HAVE available:
- mobo: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H available for free (could probably be sold for $100)
- psu: have a CS550M (not sure if it's enough juice) available free
- gpu: 650 TI I can pick up for $75 CAN from a trusted friend

So I have essentially $500 to spend ($600 if sold the above mobo)

So basically I have these questions:
1) Should I sell the mobo and go with an 1150 build? How would you then spend the $500/$600?
2) Does the CS550M have enough juice or do I need something larger?
3) That 650Ti is a good price for around here but should we go bigger and use more of the budget on the gpu?
4) Is the Z77X-UD3H worth working off of or should I sell it and try and work an 1150 build?

This guy will probably never SLI, would use the system primarily for games but is his everyday comp as well. He does not have a lot of $$$ so complete system overhauls are few and far between (he's on an X2 3600+ right now). Single item upgrades are possible in the future but not frequently.

Help is appreciate guys, thanks.

So have been a bit out of it for a while and am building a budget gaming rig for a friend. Looking for opinions on how best to spend the money.

I DON'T need: Hdds, case, DVD

I DO need:
- cpu:
- ram:
- gpu:
- psu:
- mobo:

I HAVE available:
- mobo: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H available for free (could probably be sold for $100)
- psu: have a CS550M (not sure if it's enough juice) available free
- gpu: 650 TI I can pick up for $75 CAN from a trusted friend

So I have essentially $500 to spend ($600 if sold the above mobo)

So basically I have these questions:
1) Should I sell the mobo and go with an 1150 build? How would you then spend the $500/$600?
2) Does the CS550M have enough juice or do I need something larger?
3) That 650Ti is a good price for around here but should we go bigger and use more of the budget on the gpu?
4) Is the Z77X-UD3H worth working off of or should I sell it and try and work an 1150 build?

This guy will probably never SLI, would use the system primarily for games but is his everyday comp as well. He does not have a lot of $$$ so complete system overhauls are few and far between (he's on an X2 3600+ right now). Single item upgrades are possible in the future but not frequently.

Help is appreciate guys, thanks.

Newegg.com - Antec TruePower Classic series TP-550C 550W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-4430 Haswell 3.0GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54430

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS8G3D1609DS1S00 - Newegg.com
or with lga 1155 motherboard
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, CPUs / Processors, Processors - Desktops, LGA 1155

If your planning on selling that motherboard, make sure it is in working order and please don't sell it on ebay go for amazon.
Had a recent problem last year with a person not willing to read or understand simple directions and left me wanting to not do business with ebay again as a seller.

For the asking price I say you bring it down to 70.00 bucks shipped or you may not be selling it in the current economy.

So I'm guessing that if this is enough power the above corsair should be fine? Just stick with that one?

Sorry, I should have made it more clear, I'm in Canada so prices off newegg.com are a little lower than here. General rule of thumb is to add atleast 20% to cover the higher prices and higher taxes.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-4430 Haswell 3.0GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54430

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS8G3D1609DS1S00 - Newegg.com
or with lga 1155 motherboard
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, CPUs / Processors, Processors - Desktops, LGA 1155

If your planning on selling that motherboard, make sure it is in working order and please don't sell it on ebay go for amazon.
Had a recent problem last year with a person not willing to read or understand simple directions and left me wanting to not do business with ebay again as a seller.

For the asking price I say you bring it down to 70.00 bucks shipped or you may not be selling it in the current economy.

The economy's not too bad here in toronto, I've had a couple of offers at $100, which is why I've got it listed. I haven't tested the mobo but it's brand new, never used. Was a replacement for a DOA I got from gigabyte. Just couldn't wait for it so I had to get another one and have had this sitting around the basement for a while.

You didn't mention a gpu....go with the $75 650Ti?

Use the Z77 board if he gets it for free. Go with an i5 3330 and use that PSU (it's enough).

With the leftover budget grab this RAM and GPU.
Newegg.ca - Team Dark 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TXD38192M1600HC9DC-D
Newegg.ca - EVGA 02G-P4-2761-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

If the 59 extra bucks isn't doable then a 750ti but the 760 is far superior.

Looking at the prices here that's going to be about $100 over budget after taxes. bah.

59.97 exactly minus shipping which is why I said if he can't actually fork over 59 extra bucks to go for the 750ti which puts it in budget. My links are actually Newegg.ca.

So I'm guessing that if this is enough power the above corsair should be fine? Just stick with that one?

Sorry, I should have made it more clear, I'm in Canada so prices off newegg.com are a little lower than here. General rule of thumb is to add atleast 20% to cover the higher prices and higher taxes.

The economy's not too bad here in toronto, I've had a couple of offers at $100, which is why I've got it listed. I haven't tested the mobo but it's brand new, never used. Was a replacement for a DOA I got from gigabyte. Just couldn't wait for it so I had to get another one and have had this sitting around the basement for a while.

You didn't mention a gpu....go with the $75 650Ti?

Like I said before either test the motherboard and make sure it works with no issues or dont bother selling it.
Your taking a gamble and if such said customer says it doesnt work with proof of videos, pictures or files, you can refund their money in full including shipping they paid for.

Excuse my language here, but don't be a complete ******* and make sure the product works like you say. :|

Yes keep your GTX650 for now, you want to spend nearly 300 bucks or more on either GTX 700 series or ATI 260 R7 and R9 series ? o0
Like mguire mention to a few others about the prices of those cards.
It would be best you would be content with that card and buy a new one at the beginning of fall.

Save your cash and use it for the bills thats coming soon.
Check newegg canada and get those parts I mention also get that antech in case your friends psu goes dead on you unexpectedly.
It will be enough to power that intel rig and a future video card and hard drive upgrade.

For the PS I have a old OCZ 500 PS running my old system without problems, Ran the GTX470 which is supposedly a small pig for power and now has a 460 and it runs it fine.

Like I said before either test the motherboard and make sure it works with no issues or dont bother selling it.
Your taking a gamble and if such said customer says it doesnt work with proof of videos, pictures or files, you can refund their money in full including shipping they paid for.

Excuse my language here, but don't be a complete ******* and make sure the product works like you say. :|

Yes keep your GTX650 for now, you want to spend nearly 300 bucks or more on either GTX 700 series or ATI 260 R7 and R9 series ? o0
Like mguire mention to a few others about the prices of those cards.
It would be best you would be content with that card and buy a new one at the beginning of fall.

Save your cash and use it for the bills thats coming soon.
Check newegg canada and get those parts I mention also get that antech in case your friends psu goes dead on you unexpectedly.
It will be enough to power that intel rig and a future video card and hard drive upgrade.

Thanks.

No can test, I don't have components to test the mobo, it's posted on kijiji as a replacement RMA that is still under warranty. I made it clear that I haven't tested it and am providing the receipt so they can warranty it if anything goes wrong, and a 3 day money back guarantee. I don't ship, is local only.

This comp is not for me so I don't need to save for bills...well I do but that's a different story, this is for a friend. I'm just donating some parts I have to it (mobo, psu, hdd, etc...).

I'm a bit confused, you're recommending I get another psu on top of the one I have just in case that one fails? I'm friendly but not friendly enough to stock pile parts as backups for friends...not to mention this guy lives 8 hours drive away so if anything fails I'm not the one he's calling for loaner parts.

Thanks for the help guys.

[edit]Additional recommendations are welcome, there is no hurry on this yet. [/edit]

The CSM550 is a gold rated unit which rivals the HX. No point in getting any other unit and it'll run quite a bit in terms of hardware.

I say just stick with what I was saying earlier. It's within budget and although the 750ti isn't the best it'll still hold its own and is more powerful than the 650ti.

Back
Top Bottom