Upgrading from XP to 7. What should I scrap?

There is no point in patching up 32bit OS's when you can simply buy a 64bit OS for the same price. Since they are purchasing Windows 7 they can go either way.

And if you already have the key for Vista or Win7, then it works for either 32bit or 64bit with the same key.

Actually, before people see that link and think it's cool to run 32bit I just want to clarify since I didn't read the guys whole article.

Actual address space never exceeds 4GB. If you don't know what this means, don't buy anything other than 64bit unless you want to use less than 4GB of RAM. Seriously.

Driver compatibility can be an issue too. I updated a couple older Vista laptops and couldn't get some 64 bit drivers. But both Compaq and Dell provided 32 bit Vista drivers that worked well with 32 bit Windows 7

Driver compatibility can be an issue too. I updated a couple older Vista laptops and couldn't get some 64 bit drivers. But both Compaq and Dell provided 32 bit Vista drivers that worked well with 32 bit Windows 7

It would either be some older hardware, or fairly weird/unsupported hardware/chipsets to not have drivers available for 64bit nowadays, considering Win7 x64 has been standard on desktops since it's release now.

These Dells came out before the time period when x64 was mainstream. Back in those days I was actually rigging up drivers to work in 64bit due to this very issue. Xbox controller comes to mind, sound card, ect.

I'm sure that if I spent several hours googling and researching I might have located that one modem driver, or one for the audio....But it was way easier and worth while time wise just to pop a 32 bit version on it, besides this one laptop could only handle 2 gbs of memory at the max (2x 1gb)

Back way when Vista first came out, many manufactures were putting Vista on XP pc's. It was a major failure and why one of several reasons that Vista failed from the starting gate. I did attempt to install a 64 bit windows 7 because I do think the 64 bit is better but this poor old thing ran like crap. I formatted it and went with the 32 bit and I had no problems with it

My father is upgrading his office computers (Two units), which run windows XP currently, to run windows 7 (32-bit). The computers are custom built by his old IT guy, who charged him way more than the computers were worth at the time (Mid to late 2008)

In any event, we want to upgrade these computers to run Windows 7 as cheaply as possible. Not counting the cost of the Win7 itself (for both computers), I would like the cost to remain under $100. The system specs are as follows (Both computers are identical, unless where noted below):

>>Intel core 2 Duo processor, 2.33 GHz.
>>1GB RAM (Brand/speed unknown [Will likely upgrade to 2GB])
>>250-ish GB HDD (Partitioned into so many logical drives, total storage was just about incalculable)
>>LANtastic networking card
(Mobo and PSU unknown. Will update once I find out)

The features that are absolutely necessary are:
>>Ability to run Sesame (A database program) from both the server host and client
(Sesame is compatible with Win7, talked with developers to confirm)
>>Ability to share files from host to client and vice-versa
>>Ability to send files independently to two separate printer queues.

If this makes any sense at all, I would greatly appreciate some help.
If anything is confusing, I will try to clarify to the best of my ability.
Thanks in advance!

Tell mommy she might need to give you a specific budget, little as possible doesn't say much. :/

New Belkin USB Adapter Up to 300MBP F7D2102 N300 Micro Wireless | eBay
2 of these at 10.00 bucks each, my mother uses this on her office computer.
Driver is easy to setup and get going in 2 minutes.

Here goes your ram for now:
Crucial Technology 1333MHz (PC10600) 2GB DDR3 RAM at 3B Tech - Buy computer parts, laptops, desktops, & electronics
You can run windows 7 home, professional on 2gb on good name brand memory.
Just realize most of todays programs and applications will need abit more than 2gb to work efficiently.

Here is your hard drive
Western Digital WD2500BB 250GB 7200RPM 3 5" IDE PATA ATA 100 Desktop Hard Drive 000004709336 | eBay

Thats at 30.00 bucks per drive, check with the seller directly about the condition of those drives before you buy.
Please realize those are oem drives given to companys such as dell, hp, gateway and any other lead computer maker.
They have a limited warranty for so long.
So if it breaks on you, hope the seller is swell enough to send you another under his/her terms of business.

So those items I listed you'll be asking mothercons to loan you 85.00 bucks total. :/
If I were you, I would personally manage those systems and the network.
Least she will feel safe enough to let you manage and upgrade the machines in the home.

Here goes your ram for now:
Crucial Technology 1333MHz (PC10600) 2GB DDR3 RAM at 3B Tech - Buy computer parts, laptops, desktops, & electronics
You can run windows 7 home, professional on 2gb on good name brand memory.
Just realize most of todays programs and applications will need abit more than 2gb to work efficiently.

That's DDR3 RAM you linked. OP's systems are Core 2 duo based, so DDR2 is required. Just an FYI in case you missed it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom