No post, nothing on display

dartgande

In Runtime
Hey guys, just completed my first rig in a really long time, and I'm at a loss as to why my computer won't boot.

Fans are powered, motherboard is on, but there is no POST, and also no power to the rear usb ports. I've enclosed pictures and I'm curious as to if anyone can help with this.

Attachments

• 20140410_135450.jpg
    20140410_135450.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20140410_135442.jpg
    20140410_135442.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Double check all connections: Power, GPU, CPU power connector, RAM, etc.

If it still doesn't power on, then remove the motherboard from your case, lay it on some cardboard, and see if it powers on. This is to make sure your motherboard isn't shorting against your case.

Attachments don't work for me. Put your GPU in the top slot for starters.

Next up, wtf do you have going on with that adapter to the motherboard? If that's a GPU 8 pin adapter, that's a no go. You need to use the 8 pin motherboard cable from the PSU directly.

I took the video card out completely, and then plugged the 8pin directly into the mobo, but still no dice. Also, my 8 pin won't reach without the adaptor.

The computer restarts immediately and then doesn't post at all

It should fit if you go straight up from the PSU. If it doesn't you'll need a real CPU 8 pin extension because a GPU 8 pin adapter won't work and without power there the PC won't post.

It doesn't post even when attached directly to the mobo, with the video card out. The usb slots don't appear to be working either. What could be going in?

Also, I'm pretty sure the cable is a cpu extender and not a gpu extender as it won't fit in the gpu chord.

Well, last thing to do is take the board out of the case, place it on the motherboard box, unplug all drives and leave the GPU out. Leave the extender off, leave no front panel or front USB port cables plugged in and take the second RAM stick out. Then try it.

Sometimes USB ports don't work until the PC has posted.

No go. I think I figured out the problem though..the only thing not new on this rig is the psu. It's six years old. Pretty sure, based on the immediate restart and no post, that this is the issue.

Back
Top Bottom