PC abruptly switches off at random times

Just a thought, I skimmed through the other posts, but not sure if anyone mentioned this, check your capacitors on the mobo, see if any of them are swollen or starting to burst, I've done a lot of repairs on boards with similar symptoms, and the first thing I check is the capacitors, if it is one or more of the caps, then you just need to replace them with new ones of the exact same specs, I've done this dozens of times, and it's always solved the problem.
Good idea. Would see if the board is a possible issue beforehand, but not necessarily will it be the actual problem. I had a Socket A Epox board that lasted forever with 3 swollen caps.

Just a thought, I skimmed through the other posts, but not sure if anyone mentioned this, check your capacitors on the mobo, see if any of them are swollen or starting to burst, I've done a lot of repairs on boards with similar symptoms, and the first thing I check is the capacitors, if it is one or more of the caps, then you just need to replace them with new ones of the exact same specs, I've done this dozens of times, and it's always solved the problem.

Nope. My mobo looks fine.

I re-ran kombuster and prime95 this time my PC turned off after an hour. The PC wouldn't turn on properly again so I got out the PSU, it was kind of hot and then I left it out of the case. I immediately re-ran the programs, the PSU cooled itself down quite drastically but my PC kept running. The inside of the case was clearly hot. Most of the heat was coming from of the GPU. My machine doesn't have any outtake fans so that could indicate why my PSU was blowing hot air.

If my theory is correct. The PSU may have faulty thermal sensors which means that the emergency power off threshold was likely reduced over time. So the heat inside the case triggers the PSU's faulty sensors which subsequently cut out the power.

Now I just need to place the PSU back inside the case to see if it shuts down again...

Easy way to find out. Leave your side panel off and point a box fan, or whatever at it.

Well it seems that my theory is wrong. My PSU doesn't trip when I point a hair dryer at it. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get another PSU yet but I suspect that my SSD could be involved. I get an average of 2 BSODs a year and I got one earlier this year. I always had to re-install windows and it was a real pain in the a**.

Edit: Although, I have seen many negative receptions about this CM PSU which makes me want to replace it regardless if it's giving me problems or not. The warranty is void but I'm not interested in CM PSUs anymore. I was thinking about getting one of those Corsair fully modular ones.

Last edited:
After you had the chance to verify whether it is the PSU at fault or not. might be worth while to run with just 2x 4GB sticks and see if it still crashes. If it does, try the other 2 sticks.

I've had this same problem as you last year. I went and nearly changed out all of my parts only to find out it was the RAM.

I ran memtest86 overnight and it found no problems. But I replaced the RAM and had no problems ever since.

After you had the chance to verify whether it is the PSU at fault or not. might be worth while to run with just 2x 4GB sticks and see if it still crashes. If it does, try the other 2 sticks.

I've had this same problem as you last year. I went and nearly changed out all of my parts only to find out it was the RAM.

I ran memtest86 overnight and it found no problems. But I replaced the RAM and had no problems ever since.

Yea I said that already because he has a first gen i7 and those chips don't like 4 sticks unless you bump up the IMC voltage. Just like Phenom 2. I found it weird that both AMD and Intel had that same issue.

Yea I said that already because he has a first gen i7 and those chips don't like 4 sticks unless you bump up the IMC voltage. Just like Phenom 2. I found it weird that both AMD and Intel had that same issue.

Just with the i7? Wonder what causes that. :/

Just with the i7? Wonder what causes that. :/
First gen Core i and Phenom 2 (namely AM3 CPUs) typically required an IMC voltage bump to run 4 sticks of RAM. I never really looked into the issue as to why, but it's a known problem. In 2010 G.SKill sent me a 16GB set of RAM which was 4 sticks of 1333 and my i5 threw a fit unless I gave it more IMC voltage. My 955BE would also give the same issue when running 4x2GB of 1600.

Back
Top Bottom