PSU Issues?

big_empty410

Baseband Member
Hey guys! New here. I'm sure there are already threads about this but, I've tried multiple other forums, and have yet to find one that has offered a solid solution to my problem.
Firstly my rig is as follows.

- GPU - Geforce GTX 780 Ti (overclocked)
-CPU- Intel Core i7-4930k CPU @ 3.40GHz
-Cooling- Corsair Hydro Series H80i Liquid Cooling
-PSU- Corsair RM850
-Storage- 2x 2TB HDD (One is a data drive)
-Mem- 32 GB Ripjaw Ram (4x 8gigs)
-OS- Windows 8.1 Pro. 64-bit
-Audio- Soundblaster Z

My issue is that my games are crashing. Sometimes I can play for hours on end. Sometimes it will crash 10 or so minutes into the game. Occasional BSODs. Most times though it's just a freeze with a single frame and a buzzing sound. I've run memtest86 which found no errors. Nothing is overheating. I have an NZXT Phantom 410 case which I keep clean and free from dust. Plenty of air flow. Five case fans (Working properly).
As I've said I've read many forum threads about similar issues, but none have exacted my specific issue or offered a solid solution for said issue. Most have pointed in the general direction of it being a PSU issue. Before I go replacing my PSU, I want to make sure that this is in fact the issue. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Since you have an overlocked GPU, have you tried downclocking it to make sure that's not an issue of an unstable OC?

Tried newer/older drivers for your GPU?

Do you have any crash dumps of the BSOD's you get? They're under C:\Windows\Minidump
If you do, upload them, and we can take a look at them.

My minidump file is empty. I've tried unlocking my GPU, but I'm not sure I was doing it right. I've also tried different drivers. None with any results.

According to msi afterburner my card isn't overclocked. That's irritating... The bsod only happened twice out of the countless times it's frozen. It hasn't blue screened me is over a month.

Does the whole system freeze, or just the game? Can you alt+tab out of it or do you have to power down your whole system?

Try underclocking the core/mem by a little bit and see if that helps or not.

And I believe it will stay that way unless you were to flash a modified BIOS on your card. You can try to enable it in the Settings, though you shouldn't need to touch the voltage unless you're increasing the overclock.

I'm not talking about adjusting the voltage though - I'm talking about core clock / mem clock.

You can also try running MSI Kombuster which stresses your card to see if that's the issue.

Take the sound card out, uninstall SB drivers and sweep them then try. A nice little buzz after a freeze is exactly what I was just getting last week. I took my XFi Extreme Music and tossed it in the trash. Vuala, no more issues.

And I believe it will stay that way unless you were to flash a modified BIOS on your card. You can try to enable it in the Settings, though you shouldn't need to touch the voltage unless you're increasing the overclock.

I'm not talking about adjusting the voltage though - I'm talking about core clock / mem clock.

You can also try running MSI Kombuster which stresses your card to see if that's the issue.

I'm guessing it would be the gpu burn in?

Back
Top Bottom