new PSU opinions wanted

Really- I remember $299 - but not below it. What do you make of the differences in the warranties? The Tiger option with rebate is $269.99 ?? I did not have this specific GPU on my list - I had the cards with the 3 fan coolers on my short list= Gigabyte and Sapphire. Do you know anything about this card to make it a bad purchase?

$299 is MSRP, so technically by now it should be cheaper, much like the GTX 770. Right now I would guess the 280x and 770 would be about 275 new for aftermarket models but the mining really destroyed any chances of that.

I would Google that particular card. The previous DD models had a bad habit of overheating but this appears to be a new design. XFX as a brand is good, but just look at reviews to get a good idea on load temps.

XFX website says 2 year warranty - so weird the Newegg says lifetime. Toms Hardware and other Tech sites do say the new DD works pretty well for heat , but this card does not overclock well. Meh.... to wait or not for the better 280x cards to come down in price or not.

The 2 cards are different model numbers. XFX has always done this, evga too, where same card different number = longer warrenty.
Tigers #: R9280ATDFD
Newegg #: R9-280X-TDFD

A vs X

A-ha - good catch Patron.... But I could not find any mention of a lifetime warranty on any 280x on the XFX website - so that may be a moot point anyhow. I wonder if I could hold NewEgg to task regarding their listing the lifetime warranty, if XFX says "nope" ??

PP- I like the HIS as well- but it is $40/$50 more than the XFX models I linked - assuming I get the rebate.

Although I just found this - stating the lifetime warranty does exist.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7400/the-radeon-r9-280x-review-feat-asus-xfx/6

Last edited:
secret code = another $10 off. So, I guess $30 difference $289 ( lifetime warranty) on NewEgg vs $319 ( HIS - 2 yr warranty) , and then $269 ( 2 yr warranty) Tiger direct vs $319 = $50 which is nearly 20% difference. IT is nice to not be in a hurry - maybe wait a bit more to see if the vaporX or Toxic versions come down to this price. Although, $289 for the XFX DD GPU with a lifetime warranty is a decent deal.

Back
Top Bottom