What motherboard shall i buy???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdmx33

Beta member
hi there all

want to build a decent pc that will process all the new games and not break the bank.

havent built a pc in a few years so really behind on the hardware news etc. which is now the better processors out of the amd range? is it worth goin for a 64bit cpu yet? is there any point goin for a 64bit cpu if i aint goin to put xp64 on it when it comes out, will it run any better than a normal amd cpu.

really i want to know a good mid price range motherboard, does anyone have any ideas

cheers for the help guys

nick:confused:

Well as I see it, for budget a 64bit is not the best idea. Windows XP 64bit edition is crap (slow as molasses) and it is not worth it. If it got better, then you might consider.

A Athlon XP would be fine. If you want to game, I recomend a 2600+ or better.

Mobo I think would be A Abit NF7-S V2.0 -get the V2.0!.

Two sticks of PC3200 512mb of value ram would be fine.

As for the hd, get a SATA, as they are just a couple of bucks more. The size of the hd would be your choice but get atleast a 80gb. The spire whisperrock III or IV is exellent for the cpu cooling.

The case is your choice, just pick one not too expensive and suits your needs.

The video card should be a 9800pro if you can afford it. If you can't get a 9600LE (on newegg i know its available) make sure its a LE.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

I agree about the Abit - theyre excellent for overclocking since you can increase the FSB meg by meg and the voltage in 0.05V increments...

He said he does not want to break the bank. Socket 939's are more expensive, but they are going to be more upgradeable longer. If mdmx33 can afford a s939 board and at least a 3000+ 64, then do it.

Sevoma said:

The video card should be a 9800pro if you can afford it. If you can't get a 9600LE (on newegg i know its available) make sure its a LE.

If you have any other questions, just ask.
Umm, why would you ever get the LE version of a video card? Those are basically experiments gone wrong. A 9600 LE doesn't even come close to a 9800 pro so why are you even comparing them?

Oh, that was the cheapest 128 bit 9600 i saw, so I went with that. I take back my comment. I'm going to do some more researching for the pc i'm building too, thanks GeckoEcho421.

I am not sure what 9700 Pros are going for, but they are good cards as well if you can't afford a 9800.

The Sapphire Radeon 9800 is only about $200 and has better stock cooling than the $233 true ATI card.

The spire whisperrock III or IV is exellent for the cpu cooling.

As I told you earlier, this heatsink cooler isn't very good, and I wouldn't recommend it. This one is very good, seeing that it is indeed made of mostly copper and will cool more efficiently- http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-037&depa=1

But, there is always something better, I hear this cools better then both of the above- http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-108-020&depa=1 but the drawback is price, and you still have to purchase a fan, but those aren't that pricey these days.

Here is the processor you want for gaming- http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-439&depa=1

It is Mobile meaning it was made for compact cases mainly laptops I believe, so it uses less power which produces less heat (only uses 35watts) so it oc's like an S.O.B. Some people have reported speeds of up to 2.7ghz which is almost a full giga-hert overclock. This CPU will do you good.

The motherboard Sevom posted is the best overclocking board availabe at this time, and probably forever for this socket.

Lazerman, he is not overclocking that we know of. I have had experience with those coolers and like them very much. Unless he is ocing, he might want to consider that cooler. Aluminum is fine for some purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom