Upgrade or not? Low Profile Card 25-30 USD

Big Yehudah

Beta member
Shalom everyone.

I have two desktops which I am considering upgrading with low profile Graphics cards.

One is a Dell Inspiron 530 (500w PSU) with 2 GB ddr2 667mhz, a core 2 duo e4500 2.2 ghz runnign PUPPY LINUX PRECISE. It has a 1600x900 19 inch monitor. My severely autistic sister uses this computer and she only downloads pictures, views pictures, and watches lots of streamed videos on youtube and other websites. She tends to open far too many tabs at once, which is one of the reasons i put her on puppy linux which only uses 33 mb of ram idling.

the other is an HP Pavillion with a 300w stock PSU, 6 GB ddr2 800 mhz, an athlon ii x4 620 2.66 ghz. it has a built in nividia geforce 9100.

WHat am wondering is if it is worth it to put in a low profile graphics card on either of these computers. On the first computer, would doing so reduce the strain on the processor? SHe does not play games. I do play games including beefy ones but I am just going to eventually replace a gaming laptop I have which has problems with a better and cheaper desktop, maybe a few years from now. If I do put in a low profile card in either, naturally i'm looking for as cheap as humanly possible. I might like to play games like Crusader Kings II or Shogun II total war on this computer, But i'll be fine if I can't. Basically my budget is about 25-30 dollars (including shipping). No ebay, but any firm that accepts an amex gift card in the US/Canada.

Are you sure? I ordered but then cancelled a powercolor radeon HD 5450 on amazon because I had second thoughts. it was 20 used with 5 for shipping so it was within budget. I'm not looking to do heavy gaming. I'm concerned with an HDMI slot and maybe playing some strategy games that are not resource intensive or total war on low settings.

THe 5450 is going to be just slightly better than the 9100. Those low end cards are simply meant to put video on a screen and really nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom