PC abruptly switches off at random times

And yet again, while playing Minecraft my PC turned off. It's weird because yesterday I did the same thing and no problems happened.

Yea something is on its way out. If you have a local PC store somewhere close that has a good return policy I would buy a new PSU and stick it in there to see what happens to start ruling things out.

Yea something is on its way out. If you have a local PC store somewhere close that has a good return policy I would buy a new PSU and stick it in there to see what happens to start ruling things out.

Well I guess I have no other options. I'll borrow one off from someone and if the problem still persists then it has to be the mobo.

Thanks a lot for your help! :)

I wouldn't write mobo off until the end. If you were wanting to grab the H60 do so to eliminate CPU heat first, then I would borrow some RAM and only use 2 sticks. Manually set the timings and voltage on the borrowed kit and THEN if the problem persists it's the board.

Last edited:
I think someone may be able to lend me a PSU next week. Meanwhile, I was again curious to see what will happen if I left my PC running with my CPU and GPU at 100%. The PC switched off in half an hour and it tried to turn itself on again but failing, it instantly switched off most likely because it needs time to cool down. I tried again about an hour later and the same thing happens after 1/2 hour of torture. I think it's PSU overheating. Luckily next week I will be trying out a new one.

If it was the PSU overheating then you would be able to feel real hot air coming out of the back of the PSU.

Yes it was almost as hot as a hair dryer. What seemed interesting too is that the relay switch in the PSU still triggers after a few seconds of no electrical power. In other words when my computer switches off by itself, I then immediately unplug the power and after a few seconds I hear "click".

I really hope it's the PSU because it ain't a big deal replacing it.

Just a thought, I skimmed through the other posts, but not sure if anyone mentioned this, check your capacitors on the mobo, see if any of them are swollen or starting to burst, I've done a lot of repairs on boards with similar symptoms, and the first thing I check is the capacitors, if it is one or more of the caps, then you just need to replace them with new ones of the exact same specs, I've done this dozens of times, and it's always solved the problem.

Back
Top Bottom