Question about Bandwidth

Curbkiddytech

In Runtime
Hello everyone,

I just have some quick questions concerning bandwidth within a home network.

My dad streams baseball live through MLB.com so he can watch the Mariner games that don't broadcast on TV.

I also like to play League of Legends and spend a lot of my time doing so.

When he's streaming baseball while I'm in a LoL game I tend to lag while his stream goes unaffected. Recently we've been trying to find ways to eliminate this problem by increasing our internet plan from 8MB to 10MB.

Today when the guys from our town came to test the increased speed they explained that the pushbox system that was installed when we re-modeled the house back in 2002-2003 is the reason we've been experiencing a loss in speed and could be the major issue to our problem, so they're returning tomorrow morning to bypass that system and have our connections running straight through the router and modem.

My question for you guys is will this solve my lag issues while playing League of Legends while my dad is streaming baseball? Or will I have to simply put off games until his game is over?

Our router is a WNDR3700 Netgear, if that helps.

It's hard to explain.

Basically it was this small, white narrow rectangular box where all the hardwired connections ran through before going into the router. The guys who removed it said that was fine back when 128 Kb connections were common, but was where we were losing speed now with higher plans such as 8MB, 10MB.

If you imagine a small, home sized Demarc combined with a very small, home sized patch panel is the closest I can come to describing it. They took the panel with them when they removed it so I couldn't take a picture of it for you, sorry!

Back
Top Bottom