Installing windows xp on slave drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaShady

Solid State Member
I currently have sp2 installed in my C: drive but when I put in the XP Pro CD, it says that I already have the newest version, and it doesnt even let me decide what drive I want to put it on. I want to put it on the E: drive. The slaved drive belongs to my friend, we were transferring all his songs over my computer, then formatting his, then transferring the songs back over. But, I cant re-install windows on his. What should I do?

In order to install windows on his you are going to have to unhook your drive and make his the master. After this install yours as the slave and you should be able to access your drive from his and copy the songs over. Then just remove his drive and set yours up as master.

This is a bad idea though, you should be installing windows with the hard drive in the computer it is going to stay in. There are lots of problems that can come up from installing an OS in another computer and just transfering it over.

Josh

If it won't boot to the XP CD then it is not an OS or hard drive problem. Make sure his computer is set up to boot from CD before hard drive.

Josh

put it in your case, copy the music to your hard drive.

put it back in his case, then you install xp on it

now you can network it to tranfer the songs back or you can put the hard back on your computer as slave to do it

With windows XP it wont be a problem switching hard drives with WIN 98 it sucked but it goes pretty smooth with XP.You just have to install your motherboard drivers after you switch.And run a clean up program to remove any old dlls and clean up the regestry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom