AMD- Winchester 64 3200 or Barton Athlon 3200?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, don't make the same mistake i made! Get the 64-bit.

If you don't, i won't like you anymore.

WQ87 said:
Dude, don't make the same mistake i made! Get the 64-bit.

If you don't, i won't like you anymore.

LOL... Anyways the Abit AV8 from Newegg will most like be the third eye I believe? Also, the Abit AV8 will work with the Winchester core which is better for overclocking than previous core's, but it will need to be flashed unless it comes with the right bios to support the new 90nm technology.

Go for the Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester, it is the future just like the Pentium 4 on LGA775 is the future. If you are doing animation and stuff like that, go for a Pentium 4 on LGA775, if you are going to do gaming, then the AThlon 64 is your pick. If a computer keeps you happy for about 3 or 4 years, then why not save yourself some money and get an Athlon 64 on Socket 754 instead of 939, the 3400+ beats out the 3500+ in most benchmarks I've seen anyway.

Don't listen to him, Socket 939 is better for many reasons's, one being it can run dual channel memory, which is better than sinle chanel, but I wont get into that. It also is futureproof, you buy the socket 754 with an AMD 64 bit cpu, and that's what you will be stuck with, no future upgradeability like dual core.

Also, flashing means that you have to "flash the bios" with a certain file, 90nm amd 64 bit cpu's are fairly new and most of the motherboards haven't been released with the new bios to support it yet.

I have actually been thinking hard on this, which motherboard to get, I mean, I hear the MSI Neo Platinum or w/e it is called is a very nice motherboard; somewhere I heard that it comes with a working bios for 90nm.... If this is true or not, IDK. Here it is nonetheless- http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-468&depa=0

Yes i forgot to mention to get the 939 instead of 754, the 754 is cheaper, but theyre not gonna make any more chips for my mobo, so now im stuck, where theres a lot of chips out already that you can upgrade to later. you dont wanna put yourself in a rut off the get-go.

flashing- umm I have never done it cause Im, scared but it seems you just load the drivers and run them. its a thing off the mobo website that changes... (someone more knowledgable pleaseee) some capabilities and settings on your mobo. (is it similar at all to flashing a vid card?). I almost did it the other day, to get some BIOS updates but someone told me it wouldnt help at all. does anyone think it would? is it kinda like updating vid card drivers or what? (sorry for answering a question i dont know the answer to, :confused: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom