Building a Home Server for Virtualization.

Reapt

In Runtime
I'm gonna build a home server and set up virtual box to run multiple servers. Apache, an open source backup(not sure which one yet), and a web hosting. What do you guys think would be a decent set up for around 600-800.

Should i just go i5 or should i grab a xeon?
16 GB of RAM good enough to run three virtual servers?

I build computers all the time. But never a server. Seeing as how this is just a basic home server the specs wouldn't be much different than a high processing home desktop no?

Windows web platform for MYSQL. Bacula to backup all the computers on my home network. Apache for the HTTP

Or could i just make the windows the HTTP and the MYSQL?

General practice in a business environment is to separate each server individually (either on separate systems, or in different VM's)... that being said... there's nothing wrong with putting everything on a single server, especially for home use.

I have the following on my home server:

Pentium 4 HT with 4GB RAM
WAMP (Apache / MySQL / PHP)
IIS7 (used for ASP.NET webpages)
FTP (FileZilla FTP Server)
Local Fileserver
BTSync server
Plex Media Server
TeamSpeak 3 Server
Minecraft server

Yea I think you'd be better off getting the hardware you mentioned previously but allowing the system as a whole to share full resources so something doesn't get purposely bogged down by being split.

Do you think I could get away with an i3 and 4gb of ram? Trying to go cheap as possible while still being efficient enough to virtualize those three.

My home server runs everything on a single install of Debian... four websites, a dozen subdomains, HTTP, mysql, plex, a backup system I wrote myself (nothing fancy, just timed backups of various directories to an external drive), smb, ftp, transmission web daemon, ssh, a minecraft server, pydio, etc. (various small daemons for resource usage, like this or this )

Been running for a solid 128 days now!
7RVJpcH.png

Specs:
AMD A-10 5800K (sort of regret it, but eh, it does more than okay for a server)
8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
450W PSU
64GB SSD for the OS, websites, MC server, etc + 4TB HDD + 3TB external
A Mini-ITX motherboard and this case:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008J0ZQCU/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom