New SSD

And for arguments sake the review you link simply states the person likes the EVO more than the M500. If we were particularly concerned about database level endurance we could just all jump ship and grab Intel 730s. Simple fact of the matter is still holding true. Buy a reputable brand like Samsung, Corsair, Crucial, or Intel and the SSD will outlive its relevance.

It's also funny that the review linked is the exact place I saw what I mentioned earlier.
NAND writes per day to 50 GiB just to be a bit more aggressive than the typically quoted 10 - 30 GiB for consumer workloads

Even still, at 100GB/d it's estimated life expectancy is 4 years. I don't see anybody on this forum writing even 10GB/d on regular home usage making an EVO or any other similar SSD lasting 20 years plus. I can't speak for anybody else but I can 100% guarantee I will have something else within 7 years tops. More than likely PCI-E based or SATAExpress.

The M500 is $20 dollars (14%) cheaper than the EVO. No performance in real-world day to day usage, and has better endurance on paper.

If i was buying a SSD that's going to be limited by SATA2, I wouldn't spend the extra $20 bucks. Just saying you know.

You might upgrade to a new drive in the future, but doesn't mean you have to throw away your old drive right? Give it to a family member, or use it in a HTPC.

Better endurance on paper, but what I just said pretty much makes that moot. And actually, 90% of the visualized performance people notice is from 4k IOPS of which the SATA2 bus won't limit. Something the EVO has on the M500. OP also purchased off Amazon making the difference 12 bucks.

As to the future, sure. But if these drives are dying in 10-20+ years the SATA bus probably won't be relevant which is what I was getting at before. If you upgrade within a 5 year period sure you can pop it in something else but the endurance thing is still just as moot. Idk about you but I'm not using Maxtor drives that I had just 8 years ago, or IDE for that matter. We will see the same issue when these drives are actually getting ready to die, EVO, M500, or any other reputable drive.

Because I forgot he wanted higher than 120 :p

Not that it matters much, but the Samsung is also 10GB bigger and from what I can tell he already purchased.

It's highly probable that within the next five years, that SSD drives will be even cheaper and who even knows if platter drives will still be around? If you can get 5+ years out of a 250gb SSD then I'd say that was very good @ today's price of under a dollar pr gb (Many are in the .75 cent range)

It's highly probable that within the next five years, that SSD drives will be even cheaper and who even knows if platter drives will still be around? If you can get 5+ years out of a 250gb SSD then I'd say that was very good @ today's price of under a dollar pr gb (Many are in the .75 cent range)

They will be for businesses for sure. Hell, large businesses / datacenters still use tape drives ;).

New drive came in today... Should have been here Saturday but FedEx messed up. :annoyed:

Did a clean install of OS X 10.9.2 and it's amazing. It takes about 20 seconds to load the desktop from the time I press the power button. It's faster then my desktop with a SATA III drive.

Back
Top Bottom