New SSD

35g700

rustle rustle
What would be a good SSD to get for my 2010 MBP? I'm looking for something greater than 120GB (preferably 240GB) for a decent price. My laptop only has a SATA 2 connection so that will be the biggest bottleneck.

I've been out of the loop for a while so all suggestions are welcome. It doesn't look like OCZ is the best manufacturer anymore...

What would be a good SSD to get for my 2010 MBP? I'm looking for something greater than 120GB (preferably 240GB) for a decent price. My laptop only has a SATA 2 connection so that will be the biggest bottleneck.

I've been out of the loop for a while so all suggestions are welcome. It doesn't look like OCZ is the best manufacturer anymore...
They haven't been for quite some time, and after their financial troubles (cough crooked pencil) they got bought out by Toshiba.

Anywho, go get yourself a Samsung EVO.

I'd go for the Crucial M500.
The Samsung uses TLC NAND rated at 1,000 P/E (write) cycles versus the MLC NAND on the Crucial rated at 3,000 P/E cycles. The Crucial is also the only consumer grade SSD with super capacitors that prevents data loss in the case of power failure.
The Crucial M500 does bench slower than the Samsung EVO though. but its not something you'd notice in real world situations. Especially when you are limited by the SATA 2 interface.
Another plus for the M500 is that is a little bit cheaper than the EVO currently on Amazon.

If you want to spend a little more, there is also the Crucial M550, all the benefits of the M500, except its faster.

I'd go for the Crucial M500.
The Samsung uses TLC NAND rated at 1,000 P/E (write) cycles versus the MLC NAND on the Crucial rated at 3,000 P/E cycles. The Crucial is also the only consumer grade SSD with super capacitors that prevents data loss in the case of power failure.
The Crucial M500 does bench slower than the Samsung EVO though. but its not something you'd notice in real world situations. Especially when you are limited by the SATA 2 interface.
Another plus for the M500 is that is a little bit cheaper than the EVO currently on Amazon.

If you want to spend a little more, there is also the Crucial M550, all the benefits of the M500, except its faster.

According to this the EVO uses MLC NAND too.

The EVO is actually designed to be bashed around by people who aren't familiar with SSDs. Pretty sure I heard a quote of something along the lines of it'll take 30-50GB worth of writes per day for a few years straight.
Fact of the matter is though that it doesn't really matter. SSDs are not as fragile as people want to make them out to be and can theoretically live longer than even mechanical drives with consistent use due to no moving parts. I remember when SSDs first came out and everybody were saying they wouldn't last long but my first gen G.Skill is still running fine since 08. The only worry is bad controllers or type of flash used which buying a reputable brand will resolve that worry.

Yeah, my 60GB OCZ is still going strong and it's been the primary drive in my desktop for over two years now. It seems that it's more likely for a HDD to fail before a SSD dies due to hitting the read/write limit.

I'll probably get the EVO then. It seems to be better and it's going into a laptop so I don't really need to worry about power failures.

Yea the Vertex and Agility 3 weren't that bad with failure rates but the 2s were and I have a Vertex 2 still running in my machine. I think I got lucky though.

According to this the EVO uses MLC NAND too.

That's what they want to you believe... :cool:

Samsung's 840 EVO solid-state drive reviewed - The Tech Report - Page 1
Samsung refers to the 840 EVO's NAND as three-bit MLC. That's technically correct: TLC flash has three bits per cell, one more than MLC memory and two more than the single-bit SLC stuff.

AnandTech | Samsung SSD 840 EVO Review: 120GB, 250GB, 500GB, 750GB & 1TB Models Tested
The non-Pro version of the 840 was the first large scale consumer SSD made with 3-bit-per-cell MLC NAND, more commonly known as TLC (triple-level-cell) NAND.
The 840 EVO is basically an overclocked 840.

AnandTech | Understanding TLC NAND

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom