uninstall error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsisteve

Solid State Member
hello, I am trying to uninstall AVG and am getting an error message "cannot init. language file"[and also] "AVG Shell extension; language file failed"... I have tried the uninstall from both the control panel and from the program itself. I had previously uninstalled AVG, but had to restore my sys. to an earlier date and found AVG was still partially installed. I am running XP home....thanks

You may have to manually delete all the files and registry entries. Do a windows search for avg and find and delete the folder. I don't suggest you go into the registry and delete stuff unless you make a backup first.

Thanks for the quick reply, I am always leary of manually deleting, but I guess this may be the only way.

pepsisteve,

Use 'registry mechanic' or someother software to clean out the invalid entries in registry , and 'dll cleaner' to delete the unused dll's.

there is an install log located in the folder where AVG is installed that writes out all the registry keys that the installer wrote to. it's pretty easy to follow and delete them manually.
I write installers so I know about this stuff. it's really quite easy to do, if you know what you are doing.
some stuff you don't want to mess with is in HKCR (Hkey_Classes_Root) most of these are reference count entries for DLL and OCX files. Messing with those entries could screw you over pretty good. so I don't reccomend it...

I've never been one to trust a program to clean out the registry for me. That is something I do by hand...
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom