New pc built. Will not power on

davidowengaming

Baseband Member
I helped my friend build a new pc recently and when we plugged it in it tripped the breaker after turning the psu on. That is the only sign of life that we've seen. It will not power on at all. No fans spinning, nothing.

The psu 24 pin connector was missing a pin. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

I'm a very amateur builder at the moment. Any ideas as to what this may be?

You definitely need a proper working psu before you even hope to figure this out. Which pin is missing?

It sounds like you shorted out. Did you use the correct mobo standoff locations?

Take the mobo out of the case and put it on cardboard, connect only the cpu, ram and a gpu if you don't have a onboard one.

Try booting, and if it works, check for places the mobo can touch the case.

I'm waiting for a new psu which will be here tomorrow. The mobo isn't touching any part of the case. There's only one way for it to go in really. It's going in an antec 900 case.

I couldn't tell you exactly since everything is at my friends house. It was one of the pins toward the middle.

Does it look like this:
Conector-ATX.jpg

There's still plenty for a mobo to touch even if you believe it is perfect. If 1 of the brass standoffs is out of place it'll ground out and not boot.

You need to try booting out of the case t be sure.

I'm waiting for a new psu which will be here tomorrow. The mobo isn't touching any part of the case. There's only one way for it to go in really. It's going in an antec 900 case.

I couldn't tell you exactly since everything is at my friends house. It was one of the pins toward the middle.

Cables.jpg

Take your psu out of your computer and take it to his place.
Plug in the 24 pin atx connector and plug in the cpu 4pin connector.
Start out with just the mobo, cpu and ram, no optical drive no hard drives or flas drives.
If it powers on fully, then yeah your right it is a psu that got shorted.
If it does not fully power on with the monitor you'll need to trouble shoot the computer.
Figure out which parrts work and dont work.

Got the new psu today and it worked no problem. I have had no luck with corsair so far which is strange... they have great reviews and a lot of people recommend them.

So thanks for the feedback guys. But it ended up just being a faulty psu xD

Yea Corsair doesn't make there power supplies, Seasonic makes there TX series and I think there other better ones too but not sure on those but the CX series are made by a cheaper company and are not nearly as good, Better than a lot of the other cheap ones but still cheaply made.

Back
Top Bottom