Formating Compaq Presario CQ56

Hernando23

Solid State Member
Anyone know where I could get recovery disk for that laptop? Or get a Windows installation disk so I can format the hardrive? It runs Windows profesional 32bit. It apperantly has the option to press F11 to enter recovery mode but when I press it when it boots, it says something like starting recovery mode but then just skips it and starts Windows normally.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Not specifically recovery disc for the CQ56, but is generic Windows 7 ISO:
Legal Download from DigitalRiver: Windows 7 SP1, 13 languages

Pick the correct version (Home vs Pro) - 32bit or 64bit doesn't matter, as your key should work for either. Burn the ISO to a DVD, or make a USB install using Microsoft's USB tool: Microsoft Store

You'll just have to download the drivers for your laptop if Windows doesn't auto-install some devices.

If you'd rather get an actual recovery disc for your model, then you'll need to contact HP/Compaq and order a set of recovery discs (will most likely cost around $20).

I can't download it there, not the 32bit nor the 64bit, just says page not available or has been removed.

Hmm, for some reason the links are down. Not sure if they were taken down by Microsoft again or not... haven't read anything in any of the threads about other people having problems yet.

Seems like all the links for Windows 7 on digitalriver are down. Any way I could get my computer into recovery mode other than when booting?

Is there a reason you can't boot into Windows normally?

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode through the F8 boot menu?

I can boot into Windows normally but i need to restore my laptop to factory settings and I can't get into recovery mode. I finally found a download link that worked and downloaded Windows, copied it onto a Bootable USB and now it got stuck on completing installation..

How long did it stay stuck at that phase? Did you power it down see if it booted up, or attempted to reinstall when the install froze, or is it still stuck there?

It stayed there like 7 hours before I shut it down and rebooted and now it's stuck on "setup is starting services".

Back
Top Bottom