GPU Performance

Try using a different PCIe connector there should be two on that power supply, and you can even try using the splitter the card usually comes with and running it directly off of a molex lead. Usually it's best to use one of the PSU supplied PCIe connectors, but since it looks like your PSU is split rail you might just try another connector see if the power provided is more sufficient giving you better power to the card. Those cards like the previous gen HD6850's and newer gen HD7770's use only one 6 pin. That card should be much better than an NV 460SE especially with newer titles.

Not really. If you look at the benchmarks it's comparable to 650/650ti performance and less than 560ti performance. That puts it just at or slightly ahead of the 460se.
Thing here is he's CPU bound just by looking at his GPU usage. He's not hitting 99%.

THen you have an R7 260 which is slower than the 260x and comparable if only slightly better performing than the 460. Check MSI Afterburner or GPU-Z for GPU usage % during gaming and report back.

Read a bit further on the Best Buy description it is a 260x.

"Experience stunning images with this XFX Radeon R7 260 Double D Edition R7-260X-CDFR PCI Express 3.0 graphics card, which utilizes 2GB DDR5 memory to deliver crisp, detailed visuals. DisplayPort, HDMI and 2 DVI outputs offer flexible connectivity."

Also as a newegg comparative look at this page showing both the 260x and the regular 260 you will be better able to see that it's the 260x

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cription=XFX+-+Radeon+R7+260+&N=-1&isNodeId=1

You will see his card hold a very distinct advantage not to mention being a 2GB card.

I do concur a bit ... about your GPU analogy. In some games the older GPU series are indeed faster, but what you will see is that the newer series over a short time will be faster in common resolutions. The GTX 460Se is a cut down version of the GTX 460, and the GTX 460 is about on par with the older HD 6850. What you will start to notice is that in the newer titles the newer GPU starts to overpower the older comparable ones (example the HD 6850 vs. the HD 7770). Looking in his profile he seems to be using the new Kaveri 7850k which, by the nature of it's neweness is a tad of an unknown. Most certainly it would be best to install any of the newest chipset drivers even if one had windows 8.1. And he should be ok on the CPU bottleneck at that resolution. Not at a 3570k/4670k level but still ok.

Moreover, gaming at the resolution he is using actually eliminates (not all) but most of the CPU bottleneck and the game becomes 90% GPU bound. This is why you see people still using AMD 965 Phenoms with HD 7970's and GTX 680's getting close to the same frames per second in many games as the guy with the 3570k using the same card at that higher resolution. Start to lower resolutions and BAM the Intel single thread advantage really shows up.

Last edited:
This I all know, but two things. First being, when I originally typed CPU bound his profile still said Athlon X4 640 and second being the Kaveri 7850k is a Streamroller 2 module design which in most cases is slower than its native quad core A10 6800k and 5800k brothers (single thread loads)....which are pretty slow themselves. In a lot of cases it's slower than even an IB i3. That being said, just by looking at this GPU usage despite his resolution he's still CPU bound. If you're not pushing 99% on a graphically demanding game you're CPU bound.
Another way to look at it is, what I'm seeing is the 7850k typically scores lower than even the FX4300 which is rather slow in itself. We're looking at Celeron/Pentium IB/Haswell chip performance. Able to get the job done, but won't do a good card justice at 100%.

As to the card, yea Best Buy's site is utter crap. You look everywhere they type it says 260, but the model number and box says 260x. I simply looked at the name on top and assumed, so that's my bad. It should walk all over the 460se, but he's still CPU bound unless he plays a Mantle accelerated game.

To your last paragraph, yea I pretty much say that a lot in my stickied thread and everywhere else. ;)
If I would have known gaming would have went the way it did I wouldn't have sold my 955BE and poured money into my platform the way I did. ****, if I didn't get this 3960x for free I would still happily be using a 2500k at stock :lol:

Well that post was deleted by someone quickly and I can't PM it's ok peace =)

Edit: Apparently I can receive but none of my PM's go through.

Last edited:
Well that post was deleted by someone quickly and I can't PM it's ok peace =)

Edit: Apparently I can receive but none of my PM's go through.

The posts didn't appear because they had to be approved by a Moderator, since you included links and your post count is low.

That's also why you can't send PM's - you don't have enough posts to do so yet.

Back
Top Bottom