First GPU over clock

fallenapples

In Runtime
I overclocked my ASUS GTS 250 1GB DDR3 for the first time. I over clocked its core from 740mhz to 800 mhz and it's memory clock from 1000mhz to 1020mhz and it ran fine. After I OCed everything to almost max. My screen flickered and lagged horribly I'm guessing this is an over, over clocking symptom. Anyway my question is is there a general rule when it comes to OCing a gnu? Can you max them out are do you just see what works best?

Well first thing's first is you need to make sure the cooling is adequate enough. Make sure the heatsink is completely clean of dust and the paste is fresh.

Basics to OCing is raise one thing at a time in increments of 25MHz. Leave memory stock and raise GPU. Run MSI Kombustor to test your OC for artifacts and stability. If it becomes unstable you need to raise volts (can be unlocked in MSI Afterburner settings). Rinse and repeat. You'll need to run the fan at 100% manually too.

So I ran Kombustor and it ran well up to 780mhz with an max temp of 63 degrees, when I bumped it up to an even 800mhz, the MSI logo and doughnut shaped object started to flicker. How will I now when and how much to increase the voltage on my gpu and memory as well.

Yea you can put another GPU in there. Think of a GPU bios flash like a motherboard bios flash. It's the same thing. If it goes wrong you have a nice paper weight.

Back
Top Bottom