No Video after video card reseat

ZachAAron

Solid State Member
I was having a problem booting from CD, so I changed the sata hard drive and ide cdrom connections, when fired back up, no video. I had to remove the video card to get to the sata connector and reseat it. Once I saw no video, I put the hard drive back to sata 2 and the cdrom back to ide 2, but no change. I blew out the pci slot and the video card connector, unplugged and plugged back in the power connection for the video card, and hard drive connections. I followed all ESD rules, so my video card should still be OK, just don't know what else to do. Not sure what to do next.

Wow, everyone I talked to said it couldn't possibly be the CMOS battery. Sure enough. I tested it with a dmm, showed 2.1 volts. Changed it out, computer works fine.

Dang over sized watch batteries can cause all kinds of havoc LOL Back in the early days of PC's they used to have a rechargeable soldered onto the board LOL when that thing died it was time for a new PC LOL My old 486 DX2 had one soldered in. I was so glad when all the computer companies started all using the same parts as each other so things fit on other computers. As for that battery. I change mine about once a year, Cheap insurance it won't drive me crazy. Heck I'm already crazy enough.....

Dauntae

As for that battery. I change mine about once a year, Cheap insurance it won't drive me crazy. Heck I'm already crazy enough.....

Dauntae

Once a year? That's a bit overkill. As long as you buy a good one, they should last for ~10+ years on average. They're actually used very little - so replacing them that often is pretty unnecessary.

I know it's over kill, I have a pretty unlimited supply on that particular battery so to speak, I don't do it quit that often but if I do a good cleaning inside the case I'll throw one in when I'm in there, doesn't cost me anything so it's all good and since I'm already in the case it's no extra work.

They're like three bucks for six of them. I remember changing the dead one out a few years ago when I was actually using the computer, I took the battery out of an ancient dell that's been collecting dust in my garage for 9 years and it fired right up. Goes to show you never know, and I definitely learned not to listen to what people say but do your own research when it comes to troubleshooting.

Back
Top Bottom