Problem Booting?

CaeDares

Solid State Member
I just don't understand it.
I'm going to start the topic off like this,
Understand this:
I cannot boot up. I cannot download. I cannot run a program unless its via boot.

I'm having a problem with my PC. Its only ran ONCE in its entire lifetime. The only time its ran is when a friend of mine gave me a Hard Drive to use until I bought my own. It ran for a couple hours with all my BIOS settings on Auto. The next day when I booted up the PC told me that the S.M.A.R.T had been tripped.

I got my new hard drive. I tried installing Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on it.
It only gets through the first part of the installation. When I try to boot the PC itself up to full, it crashes/ BSOD's at the "Starting Windows" Logo.

I took out my Hard Drive (After Formatting with Sea tools) and Graphics card and installed them into my fathers PC. They worked perfectly fine. I even played a few games on it to see if the PC would crash, and it did not. I cannot test my RAM on his PC because his Motherboard requires DDR2 RAM.

I thought it was my RAM at first, so I googled it and apparently the sticks are not compatible (even though the motherboard detects them, MEMOK says its fine, excetra excetra. So I looked at the compatibility list and bought a new 1 x 8gb.
Same problems persists.

I have a feeling its my Processor or the Motherboard itself, but I honestly have no clue. I don't want to run out and buy both brand new ones if its just one that's causing the problems.

My PC heats up to around 54C

Here are my specs.

Processor:
AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX

Graphics:
SAPPHIRE 100328L Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Motherboard:
ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Case:
RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEBP 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case

RAM:
(Non compatible) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

(Compatible) CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10

I thank you all in advance

What PSU u have? As to the RAM those 3 would work with that motherboard since its ddr3.

My bad for forgetting the PSU.
I have a Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus - 600W Power Supply

That's also great news that I can use all 3 of them, but can I use them all at the same time and achieve 12gbs of ram instead of just 8?

Last edited:
Yeah I don't see why not to use all 3 RAM, your PSU seems good enough I think, I would believe its either CPU or motherboard as well.... lets wait and see what someone else thinks as well.

Are your motherboard and/or CPU still under warranty?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Are your motherboard and/or CPU still under warranty?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Even though I'm pretty sure they are, I got them off Newegg, and newegg (by my guess) deleted my account due to inactivity. So even if they are still under warranty, I have no receipt.

Even though I'm pretty sure they are, I got them off Newegg, and newegg (by my guess) deleted my account due to inactivity. So even if they are still under warranty, I have no receipt.

Go to the manufacturer's website and see if their RMA procedure requires an invoice. Some do, some don't.

I'd also try and contact Newegg to see if you can either a) get your account reactivated or b) get the invoices for the components you bought. If anything, Newegg emails you your invoice as well as stores it under your account. So you should be able to check your email and find the invoice for your components there as well.

Go to the manufacturer's website and see if their RMA procedure requires an invoice. Some do, some don't.

I'd also try and contact Newegg to see if you can either a) get your account reactivated or b) get the invoices for the components you bought. If anything, Newegg emails you your invoice as well as stores it under your account. So you should be able to check your email and find the invoice for your components there as well.

I guess I could do this, but why am I returning / replacing my motherboard and Processor? For all I know they're both perfectly fine and I'm just doing something wrong. I'm required to fill out what is wrong with the items I'm sending back, and saying "My computer is crashing" isn't really an acceptable answer, especially if its not the hardwares fault.

I'm not trying to be rude or ungrateful, hopefully you understand.

Well you've already replaced HDD and RAM, so those are out.

Have you tried a different PSU and/or GPU? I would say try onboard video, but your motherboard doesn't have onboard.

The components left to test are: PSU, GPU, CPU, and Mobo.

Do you have any extra PCI cards plugged in at all? Have you tried clearing BIOS via the silver coin battery and/or the CMOS jumper?

Back
Top Bottom