Computer Freezing/BSOD

SuxoR

What choice did I have?..
Hey guys I am currently gaming on a ASUS G73JH and lately it has been freezing, skipping, and eventually leads to the BSOD. It uses two hard drives, and I was wondering...is the main HD failing?

Would a fresh reformat help or should I just get a new drive in there? Thanks guys! Simple question but I figured I'd ask while I'm at work heh.

Thanks

What's the STOP code you're receiving?

I have a G73jh as well (well, my fiance has it now, but it was my primary laptop for a while), and had/have some issues with it too.

I know the stock HDD can be a problem, as well as other issues with the CPU/chipset combination that's in that series.

To test if it's the HDD, you can download the HDD manufacturer's test software, and see if it passes or fails.

If it's Western Digital: Data Lifeguard
SeaGate: SeaTools

Both are available from their websites' support pages.

It could also be due to heat from the CPU/GPU. I had to re-paste mine, and it cut the temps down by about 20*C. I'd definitely suggest doing this, if you haven't already. The stock paste from the factory sucks. You can check your temps using something like HWMonitor.

Thanks so much Carnage, I went ahead and put an SSD in it but I'd still like to have my old HD just in case (plus it has my files)

I do have some overheating problems, is the regreasing process for the G73JH difficult?

Not difficult, just very time consuming because you have to tear down quite a bit of the laptop so you can get to the heatsink. Took probably about 1.5 - 2 hours to do the whole thing when I did it, I think.

Here's the video I used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp90M_N6dzs

After cleaning off the old paste with coffee filters / isopropyl alcohol, just put on new thermal paste, about the size of a grain of rice on the CPU/GPU, and push down the heatsink/secure it.

Back
Top Bottom