AMD- Winchester 64 3200 or Barton Athlon 3200?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's definitely not a bad suggestion, but I have a set budget and I'd rather be able to just have stock speed that I can OC even higher.
If I was on more of a budget, then yes I would lean more toward Socket A, but it looks like my $1500 budget will support an AMD 64.

hmmm. well from what ive heard the 64's dont overclock well, but im not here to tell you what to do obviously so do what you want, but i just figured you could use the cash you save to go for an insane graphics card, or maybe even splurge on a watercooled system... just throwing out ideas here... i do like the FSB being on-chip with the 64's but other than that im kinda skeptic, im waiting for dual core to come out personally.

Don't feel bad for giving me input, please! I want to hear everyone's opinion, and you've got a point.

But here's the thing, as you may have read earlier I like to keep my comps for 4 or so years, and it seems like a Socket 939 mobo and a 64-bit processor, independent of being faster in and of themselves, are better long-term investments.

A sweet gfx card or watercooled system sounds good, but I am under the impression that I'd better invest in a good CPU over both of those other components.

Thanks for info though, more ideas welcome! I am not hard to sway if you have reliable info to back your opinion.

no doubt get the athlon 64. It has more potential because when the new windows xp 64 bit comes out, it'll gain much more speed.

Also, DO NOT!! get asus motherboards for socket 939s. ASUS is going down the drain in mobo making because it is having so much problems that once, it had to take back some product because it sucked so much. get ABIT, GIGABYTE, OR MSI

I am sorry to hear that, I always thought ASUS was a really reputable mobo company.
My current mobo is a Gigabyte and I'm satisfied with it, the one i have in mind is an ABit KT800 or whatever, but if you have recommendations for other boards I'd love to hear it.

with respect : i have found that the barton has always had a lot more head room than any other chip...oc etc. and most of all you may want to look into the mp line ..mine is a 2500 m and its made for multimedia , needless to say gfx intensive is where it shines. im not sure if the newer barton will have the multi in the 64's or not , well worth looking into..
like you i have to keep to a very tight budget and get the best i can when i can and that is only once in about 3 years. as for now i like the giga bit mobo the best ,that is my observation at this time

the av8 3rd eye? then look elsewhere when i was out looking for a 64bit system it was top of my list... but then nubius mentioned something about these insane overclocking XP chips, and i couldnt resist a nice little challenge instead and saved myself hundreds of dollars.

yes i would recommend the 64bit primarily for its future benefits. when the 64bit os comes out i read they are figuring it will increase most everythings speed by 20% at least. if you want to keep your computer for a long time get the 64. you may be able to overclock the Barton, and i have heard that they oc well. but theyre still 32bit, and you will end up wanting something better soon after. the 64 3200 is faster than the 3200 Barton. i had difficulty finding a review with these chips versus each other. but i did fing an intersting (though long) article on latencies and different memory brands to avoid. also they tested and reviewed many different mobo's. here. read through that for some info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom