I handled my HDD, now I hear clicking... sh*t!

Jayteescout

In Runtime
Is this terminal? There's no way I can try readjusting it in the case or anything? I did notice the rack was squeezing it a bit tight, maybe moving it to its old, looser slot would stop it? Or is that sound the end? I didn't handle it roughly, I turned it different ways but never while it was on or plugged in. Is there any hope left?

Is this terminal? There's no way I can try readjusting it in the case or anything? I did notice the rack was squeezing it a bit tight, maybe moving it to its old, looser slot would stop it? Or is that sound the end? I didn't handle it roughly, I turned it different ways but never while it was on or plugged in. Is there any hope left?

When you power on your computer and upon booting windows.
Does your hard drive start to click click and stall some or freeze ?
If so its sounds like you may have a infection.
If not it could be the end of your hard drive.
Hard Drive Click of Death Explanation and Live Demonstration - YouTube
This should help explain your issues
If your hard drive is under warrenty you may rma it.
If your that worried, backup what you can and use a linux live distro.
software.opensuse.org:

... I did notice the rack was squeezing it a bit tight, maybe moving it to its old, looser slot would stop it? ...
How tight is it being squeezed? Is it enough to warp the frame of the drive? I would try moving it back to the other location to see if the clicking stops.

Are you seeing any operational issues since the clicking started? The first thing you should do is backup all your data, just in case.

Simply handing your drive shouldn't have caused a problem. If you dropped it or something like that, yes, but handling it should be OK.

Thanks for the responses guys!

After watching miketech's video, I realized it's not actually clicking, a better word to describe the sound would be grinding. I did some research on that and now realize it was probably just a wire hitting on of my fans. Plus I didn't notice any kind of performance drop while it was happening. I haven't been hearing it the past few days after I turned off the pc for a day or so.

I think it took care of itself, but I don't say that with confidence. I'm not entirely sure because the grinding noise was perfectly synced with the HDD write light on the case.

"Grinding" usually happens with older HDD's, or ones that aren't properly seated, so they vibrate in the case. I've heard it a lot in older pre-built machines. Not really much to worry about, in the times that I heard it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom