How do I transfer just the OS to new SSD?

Jayteescout

In Runtime
I'd like to transfer Windows 7 to the SSD for faster boot times, but I don't want to have to reconfigure anything (i.e. Desktop icons and backround, duel monitor set-up, My Librarys, downloads folder) Any way to just load the OS?

Like Fat.Clown said, you'd have to clone the whole drive over.

I prefer CloneZilla / GParted myself, but whatever you want to use works.

If you have your OS on a partition that is smaller in size than the SSD then you can just clone that partition. I use Clonezilla but any similar software will work.

If you have everything on the same partition and it won't all fit on the SSD then it'll take a bit of extra work. One thing you could do is backup your drive in addition to creating a restore point, and just delete stuff and shrink the partition down to the right size. After you clone it, just restore from the backup/restore point.

Guess the others that posted missed that you wanted ONLY THE OS on the ssd. Cloning will put the configured OS on the ssd but it will also put everything else there too. So I repeat, the only way to have it so only the OS is on the ssd is to do a clean install.

Guess the others that posted missed that you wanted ONLY THE OS on the ssd. Cloning will put the configured OS on the ssd but it will also put everything else there too. So I repeat, the only way to have it so only the OS is on the ssd is to do a clean install.
This. Trying to separate everything is just to messy the other way.

You could boot into a *nix live cd, copy all windows files/folders.
Change your boot order for the ssd first.
Once into windows you will need to create win7 symbolic links to your non windows folders(Program files/etc.)

It may or may not work, You should be sure to get a complete list of windows files/folders.
It will probably take you more than one try.

Ubuntu would be a good *nix system to boot into, it has built in ntfs/hfs support.

All this said, reinstalling would probably be easier/cleaner.

Last edited:
Use dd on a Linux disc. I've done it before and it works flawlessly

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom