Loading An OS

raptor1533

Beta member
I have a relatively new Lenovo IdeaPad S300 laptop computer. Recently, it experienced a bunch of problems. In the course of fixing them, I was resetting my computer to factory settings(Windows 8). However, during that process, the entire hard drive was wiped, and the operating system could not be reloaded. However, I removed the hard drive, and switched it out with my sister's laptop's hard drive. After booting up her laptop with my hard drive, it came to a blank screen, but I was able to install Windows XP from an old disc I had. After this was fully set up, I returned the hard drive to my computer. When I turn it on, however, it displays the lenovo screen, then tells me that it failed to boot from IPv4 and IPv6. Furthermore, the boot options menu only has those two options. Is this something to do with the BIOS? Would installing XP directly on my computer help? I don't have a disk drive on my laptop, but I could make a usb drive into an iso of the XP install disk if that would help. If it's neither of these, can anyone help? Thank you.

OEM (manufactured) computers have a secure boot feature when they have windows 8 installed. You need to disable the secure boot feature in the bios in order to install a different operating system.
btw: Microsoft's support for XP ends in just a couple weeks now

Erm... why not just get a restore disc from your manufacturer for Win8?
+1

I agree, it doesn't help much anymore to go through the effort to install XP. Reinstalling W8 is your best option. Most retailers will sell a set of recovery disks (you supposed to make your own set when you first get your pc) from $20. to $30 range. Of course the oem recovery disk set will have all the bloatware that was on the pc when you first got it

Back
Top Bottom