MAJOR UPGRADE

HunterStuck

Baseband Member
So, about a year ago i bought a 200 dollar computer for my son, now he wants to play games like battlefield 4 at 60 fps or close. i know the most he could play on now is about 20 fps. so, i was wondering if this system would be good enough.

AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core 4GHz

WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS (CX600)

Anything else i need for this and answer my question above :)

A GPU, the rest is fine. Although you can do better if you're buying brand new. Doesn't need 16GB of RAM for BF4 and an i5 would do him more justice with the game too.

ok i will get an i5 instead, but the 16 gigs of ram is for the "next gen games" also does the ram improve performance? anyway the rest of it is ok (besides the mobo) aand i also know i could do better if i buy new, but honestly i dont have enough money to buy a $1500 pc. the most i can afford is 700

i could go on ibuypower or cyberpowerpc but by the time i get it anywhere close to what i want it is already almost to 1000

Then you can save money by going with 8GB of RAM and an i5 4440 instead.

i5 4440 - $189
8GB 1600MHz RAM, 70 or below (any brand is fine)
ASRock B85 board $50-64

Vs the aformentioned. Better single threaded performance, an upgrade down the line (5th gen releasing later this year), and cheaper if all the parts mentioned are purchased new.

BF4 is a next gen game and it takes no more than 1.3GB of RAM on a 64bit executable. I don't think we'll see games use anymore than 2-3GB of RAM tops until DDR4 is mainstream. To answer your other RAM question, no it doesn't because we are not in any way limited by memory bandwidth. That's why 1600MHz speeds are suitable for 99% of the people gaming right now.

My question here is, are you buying this used? You'll need at least a GTX 760 to play BF4 around 60fps at 1080p. He won't be able to max it completely out though.

is that bottom of the line mobo?

also i was looking at the Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core
is that good. i believe that is pretty high end

also thanks for telling me about the ram i had no idea :)

That's not there top board but ASRock makes quality boards and have been competing with ASUS for features on there boards and they are quality made. For the I5 you won't need any that have the K at the end, There the ones Intel have unlocked for overclocking so get the same chip without the K at the end and save a few dollars.

Dauntae

Last edited:
is that bottom of the line mobo?

also i was looking at the Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core
is that good. i believe that is pretty high end

also thanks for telling me about the ram i had no idea :)
The B85 is a budget chipset but the days of needing expensive boards has been long gone. An ASRock B85 board will support from a Celeron all the way up to an i7 4770 just fine and give you the same performance and functionality as a higher end Z87 board. You need to save money where you can because you want all that cash going to the GPU. The i5 4440 would actually perform better than the 3570k in gaming.

just saying that seems fairly cheap for a mobo
and i was planning to get the 660
A 760 is the absolutely minimum I would recommend for higher settings and attaining closer to 60fps. My previous card was a GTX 580 I ran overclocked (better than the 660) and I ran 1080p with only a few settings on ultra and the rest low and attained between 45 and 55fps.

ok so here is what i am going to get IF it is fine.
intel i5 4440
western digital 1tb hdd
corsair vengeance blue 8gb ram
Gigabyte LGA 1150 Intel B85 HDMI SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 Micro ATX DDR3 1600 Intel Motherboards GA-B85M-D3H
corsair 600 watt power supply
OC GTX 760

Back
Top Bottom