External 1TB drive problem

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
I have 2 of these. Iomega eGo 1TB USB desktop 3.5" SATA drives. Came in an enclosure. Used them for a good while, maybe 3 years. Taken out of service about 5 months ago, put back in original packaging, styrofoam inserts and all, and put on a shelf. Now I need one, but it won't show up. Status light blinks on it so I figured the power supply was toast. Took it out and slaved it into my PC. No joy there either. Dead dogs or is there another solution? Both are doing the exact same thing which I find bizarre. Doesn't matter if I connect to an XP machine or a Win7 machine, nothing. And I need some data off these things.

So I assume windows (under admin tools/computer mngmt/Disk mngmt doesn't see it as a unallocated volume?

Do you hear them spin up or do they not move at all? if they don't spin up at least, I'm going to say they're toast (for whatever reason after sitting) But It doesn't make sense to me as well, why they wouldn't work now if they were put away working.

If they still spin up, just not recognized under Windows (disk management, Device Manager, etc.) then try booting off of a Linux LiveCD to see if *nix can see it.

They spin up, but it seems to take them a while to get going. Well, one does, the other clicks for a minute then takes off.

I dug up a couple other 1TB drives and they don't show up either. However a 500GB drive does when slaved in. I wonder if my BIOS won't support 1TB? My OC is an HP 8200 SFF with the most recent BIOS. The external drives shouldn't be that big of a deal I wouldn't think. I am guessing the enclosures are crap. Oh well. I'll put off the data recovery as long as I can.

Weirdness continues. I got one to show up in computer management as a slave disk, but it doesn't show up in My Computer. The 500GB drive I was able to format as it has no data I will need, but it doesn't show up in My Computer either. ??

Back
Top Bottom