Advice on new gaming pc

Hollowbaconpain

Solid State Member
I'm making a new PC. These are the specs:

1.Case: NZXT Phantom trim steel/ plastic enthusiast ATX full tower case

2.CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black edition vishera 4.0(4.2 turbo) socket am3+ 125w 8core processor

3.MoBo: ASUS Crossfire V Formula-z AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6gb/s usb 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with 3 way SLI/Crossfire support

4.RAM: Corsair Vengeance PRO 16 gb (2 x 8gb) 240 pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866hz

5.SSD: 2 SAMSUNG 840 EVO 2.5" 1TB(Raid 0) SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive

6.Video card: ASUS Radeon R9 @280x 3gb 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Crossfire support

7.PSu:NZXT HALE90 V2 NP-1GM-1000A 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active@0.99(Typically) PFC Power Supply

8:Cooling:
CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 CW-9060014-WW Water Cooler

Please someone tell me how this set up looks and if there is any faults. Also please don't recommend Intel, they are too expensive and i cant get more for less with amd and they are also my favorite brand.

Dont need 1866 ram, wont notice any difference with 1600 so go with 1600, dont need 1000 watts as well and go with this 1 better brand and enough power SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com no reason to go high price on a motherboard, go with this ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com with much money saved u can go higher with video card.

You are spending way too much for the mobo. While that one is the top of the line, unless you are going to run 3-way CrossfireX you are wasting money. Check out an Asrock board with either a 990 or 970 chipset that has what you want/need.

The RAM is a bit of overkill but if you can get it for a good price go for it. Compare prices among other brands, though, such as G.Skill, and don't bother buying anything faster than 1600.

2 x 1TB SSDs? Seriously? Why, other than e-peen bragging rights? I use two SSDs, but one is for the OS and main apps while the other is for games. Major storage is on mechanical drives because they don't cost an arm and a leg. You could RAID a couple of 120GB or 240GB SSDs for your main drive, put games on a separate 240GB SSD, and everything else (media, data, non-main apps) on a mechanical or two (WD Black drives recommended).

Go with either a Corsair, Antec, or Seasonic PSU. YOu want to make sure to get a solid one as when a PSU blows it will take other components with it (been there, done that).

Thanks for the advice, I got a question about the cooling. Is it good enough? Does it even fit on the case. I don't have the slightest idea of how to work with a water cooling component. The rest is easy but the I don't know anything about water cooling. Advices on brands or smaller cooling systems?

Yes, thank you very much. As to the RAM can anyone explain what is the difference between those 2400 or more and the 1600 or 1866? I just thought that the more ram the better even though you get more latency.

The 2400/1866/1600 is the RAM's speed.

Human senses are not going to be able to discern the differences between those, or even 1333. And unless the board natively runs RAM at that speed you would have to overclock the board to get that speed out of it.

Another to look for is latency. Lower is better so choose RAM with a latency of 9 over a latency of 11+. It is not as big an issue now with DDR3 as it was back in the days of DDR.

Seriously guys? OP you shouldn't be dumping this much money into an AMD rig. You would be much better off getting an ASRock Extreme4 Z87 and an i5 4670k for the money and heeding the advice of the RAM and PSU. And unless you plan on OCing a ton (which isn't necessary to begin with) you don't need such an extravagant cooler.

I also would not be spending anymore than say $275 on the 280x but knowing the current prices my guess is it is overpriced. So you'd be better off buying a GTX 770 or GTX 780 for the money.

To explain your last question, nothing is memory bottlenecked besides integrated graphics (Intel HD, APUs). So anything faster than 1600 is simply for epeen or benchmarking. High end benchmarking (with LN2). You don't even need name brand expensive RAM either. You can go with something like the Team Dark series to save money and put it towards what matters, your GPU.

As to Intel, the 8350 is 199 bucks whereas the i5 4670k which is faster is 239. Considering you would be saving more between boards, it's simply better to go with the Intel setup.

Thanks for the advice but I will stick with the amd r9 and the amd fx-8350. I will though change to the Asrock MoBo. Also I'll keep que cooler since I want my pc to be very cool so I don't get any problems. The power supply I will change to a smaller one but i was told that I shouldn't risk nothing lower than gold certified, if anyone could explain the difference in bronze, silver, gold or platinum?

The efficiency rating is more of a marketing scheme these days and not really anything to go by. THere are some gold rated units out there which are terrible (looking at eVGA) and then some other lower end units that are fantastic for the money (Seasonic G series). It's just the supposed efficiency rating at which the PSU runs at different loads. Think of basic science (not direct translation), how much heat the unit puts off compared to the load it's working.

Can't really understand why you want to stick with AMD that bad. You have no upgrade options beyond the 8350 and there won't be any. You are starting at adequate performance but not the best for your price range. The motherboard feature sets are outdated beyond even the X79 platform (which came out in 2011) and further limits what you can do in terms up upgrade. Basically, ASRock Extreme 9 or the Crosshair which won't be around much longer.

As to the cooler, your CPU will run cool with anything that is simply better than the stock cooler running stock clocks. Something simple like the CM 212 EVO will do just fine instead of spending extra cash on what essentially isn't needed. A better option than that would be the H60. Simple, effective, not overdone.

Back
Top Bottom