Operating system is missing....sometimes...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsteg

Baseband Member
i have windows XP on my computer.

anyways, i have never had this problem until now. Whenever i start up my computer, i get the "operating system not found" error. i restarted and same thing happened. got pissed and turned it off hoping it'll go away. lol.

so about an hour later, i turn i back on and it works like normal! that's odd. so when it was night time, i figured i would turn it off since i didn't think it was going to happen again. wrong.

next morning i turned on the pc, and same error again, so i checked into bios and on my primary master, it has something else listed on there. I don't remember.

so i restarted and went into BIOS again, except not my hard drive is being listed so i continued to load up and what do u know...it works normal..

can anyone tell me what the double you teee eeff is going on? lol.

my hard drive is new also. bought it back a few months ago. it's an 80GB western digital drive.

i also have a 200gb drive i'll be using as a slave, but i don't want to hook it up if i still have this problem.

help! :(

try to put in the windows CD and do the repair mode. It will compy files that are missing.

Hmmm...are you still having this issue? That is very wierd that it just game back to life like that. I will have to look into that for you.

-Dan The Man

LOL!

damn microsoft :D

yes. it comes back to life if i'm lucky. usually i'll have to toy around with my computer before any progress happens.

i'll try the windows repair thing.

also...this is odd..every hard drive i have owned, same thing happened.

my 20G i bought awhile ago went gone after just a 1year. then my 20GB that came with my computer did the same. got a different computer and the 40GB drive went out.

and now this.

perhaps i am blessed with bad luck. lol

but i doubt i didn anything wrong. perhaps a virus? i'll scan mine. anyone know of a good free virus program?

gsteg,

It doesn't look like a software/OS problem

so i restarted and went into BIOS again, except not my hard drive is being listed

There is the glitch. If you hard drive is not showing in the POST, problem with hardware or cables.

Update your bios, check your IDE cable [Try to use a different one and the power cable too] . I assume your psu supplies enough power to your components.

btw, get 'avast' antivirus. Its free and good.

[ okay and one more thing(for everyone) , the problems are mostly with the user and hardware than with the OS ] -- Everyone should know this ....

I would check the ide cable first thats what it sounds like.Unless the ide port is going kputt.

hrm...

without touching anything, the computer goes into windows sometimes. sometimes operating system is not found. i do nothing with the BIOS that would change any settings. all settings are left the same, but the harddrive seems to work only when it wants to.

i have probably 4 hard drive over the last 2 years that did this, and they were all bought brand new and installed in different computers.

the 80GB i have is only about 5 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom