Updating Video Card and Power Supply. Motherboard question

If you just want something cheap that will work, Cooler Master 212 EVO.

THat's the problem with pre-builts and why people should avoid them at all costs. Good thing for you, the cables are the same just the connector is proprietary. You just need to find out what 2 cables do what. For instance, 2 cables will be the power switch. If you don't mind taking all the cables out of the plastic connector you can do trial and error and find the right two to turn your PC on. Or you can just use a flathead screwdriver and short the two pins and it'll fire right up no big.

Ordered. Is there any way I could hurt anything by doing just trial and error? And also, if I did discover which one goes where, is it possible to buy the small single connectors to connect them properly? I just have no idea what they would even be called

Eh not really. You just need a new case really. Easiest way to figure out what is what is go to your power button, trace cables down to plastic piece, pull cables out of plastic piece then plug into the board.

Ok. Last question(s) before bed. There is a very small 4 pin connector that was plugged into what said wlan led, a 19 pin connector that was plugged into what said usb 30, and two very think black cables that have round gold ends that seem to me like they might be grounds that I have nowhere to attach on the new mobo. All of these had connectors on the old one.

Are these necessary? And how would I go about hooking them up?

The post is waiting for approval but pics are on their way.

In the meantime, is there a way to order attachments for the front panel cables so that I can plug them in normal and keep them a bit more organized after I figure out what goes where?

Ok the blue connector is USB3, it goes in the USB3 slot. Looks like you have the rest of the connectors already in place. The FP connector looks normal and looks like it should plug right in to the new one on the Asus board. As to the gold connectors those go to built in wireless on the old board. You can't use that on the new board. They plug in to that daughter board with is an mPCI-E based wireless card. They are the antenna cables. The white plug also goes to that and can't be used.

The wlan seems to be a usb network connection.

As for your front panel you may get awy with using extension cables, and you only need to connect the pwr (power) and rst (reset) cables.
Phobya Front Panel Extension Cable Kit - 300mm (87487) - FrozenCPU.com
Is a god example.

Don't worry about asking too many questions.
Those extensions are a good call. Didn't even think about it as I just hack the FP up on prebuilt cases with no big deal.

WLAN is mPCI-E. It's under the first PCI-E slot on the motherboard. The white connector should be WOL.

Back
Top Bottom