Longevity of laptop vs desktop

tomenobles

Beta member
I've a question about using a laptop and desktop long-term.

I'll give some backstory for clarity:
When our business started, we were given HP Pavilion 20 All-in-One's. AMD E1-1200, 1.4 ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hard drive... blah, here's a link if you want specs.
Long story short: they suck. We often have to run 4 or more tabs in Mozilla, one of them being our POS Register. Plus we do huge Excel sheets and we run a large program that sorts online inventory and shipments. We also have to run programs for scanners, printers, etc.

After 6 months of yelling at these pieces of crap, my assistant manager and I brought in our own laptops. I have a Lenovo P500 Ideapad with 3rd gen core i7, 8gb ram, 1TB hard drive. I love it- I can take my work home easily, I've got a USB hub for externals, and I keep all our files on flash drives so they don't eat up space.
My assistant had his personal, but I ended up buying a similar laptop to mine for him- Lenovo i5 (later found out it's a touch screen)- and it works great.

So my boss found out and thinks that laptops aren't good enough for what we do; bought a Dell OptiPlex 3010 w/ Pentium G2030 dual-core processor, 2gb ram, 250gb hard drive, etc. for me and told me to reformat the HP Pavilion's to put back in place.

Now, that's a lot of technical specs, but the point is I'm happy with my laptop and I don't want to spend 800 bucks on a ****tier Dell.

Getting to my question: Will my laptop last in the long run? Or would a desktop be a better choice?
If the laptop will last just as long as the desktop, then I'm sending that stupid Dell back.

Thanks in advance!

PS I'm asking this question from my laptop- 300 miles away from work.

Just looking at the basic specs you have in the post, of course your laptop is going to be better than the Dell just in processor speed alone, much less RAM.

As for laptop vs desktop choice, in this instance, the laptop will out run the desktop, hands down. Personally, what I would do is, send the Dell back, and order a desktop version of your laptop. (I.E. Quad-core CPU, at least 8GB ram, SSD drive, etc...)

I think Lenove has done a great job over their "IdeaPad"...use a laptop cooler and external Keyboard and Mouse...your laptop will keep alive for next 2/3 yrs.

Most computer components have life expectancies.
Desktop parts can be replaced easily.
With a netbook/laptop much caution is needed, if you bump anything plugged into the device, it could require replacing the whole motherboard.
For most people Desktops last longer.
If you are real careful a laptop can last as long.

It's not the point of longevity but you should look at what your using your pc for. I would suggest a desktop if your going to be stationary and always being at home on a pc. If your going to be mobile, (which sounds like you are) and using it away from home, on the road for personal and business travel then a laptop is in your best interest. It does cost more to own a laptop (imho) when something fails, it may or may not cost as much value to replace than to keep.

Thanks for all the advice. Didn't think about the replacing parts aspect. But I think I will stick with the laptop. Takes up less space and I can take it with me.

Went ahead and sent the desktop back.

good choice. stick with your laptop and if you really need to you can just plug it into a larger display, mouse and keyboard for a instant desktop.

Back
Top Bottom