Updating Video Card and Power Supply. Motherboard question

If it has anything to do with proprietary hardware then it has nothing to do with the card you bought. It means the motherboard is made to work only with the GPU that came in your computer which is why this one won't boot up. You're more than welcome to return your card and try their theory but I'm betting you'll find that you're stuck in the pre-built proprietary pandora box.

770s lacking backwards compatibility is BS lol. Any aftermarket card will fit in any 16x PCI-E slot regardless of the board. In this case it's your HP board that is the issue.

Replacing a motherboard is as easy as anything else in a computer. All you need to do is take the GPU out, unplug the cables from the board, lift it out, remove the heatsink, properly clean the heatsink and processor with a Qtip (or coffee filter) and rubbing alcohol, place CPU in new board, replace heatsink with new thermal paste (grain of rice size in center of CPU, don't spread), put board in case, plug back in. The only issue you might run into is Windows carry over.

Newegg.com - ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 AM3+ AMD 760G + SB710 HDMI USB 3.0 uATX AMD Motherboard

It's a 50/50 chance Windows will continue working on the new board. A clear indicator is a BSOD when you first try to load up with the new setup.

This is the second issue I've heard about loading a EVGA 770, Co worker picked one up from Best buy but he couldn't get it to work so he went back and they also told him about the backwards compatibility and I thought geek squad was just covering there own with this BS so he returned it and got the 760 and it went right in and worked, Maybe there is something to it with the 770 cards. It was a EVGA too.

Dauntae

This is the second issue I've heard about loading a EVGA 770, Co worker picked one up from Best buy but he couldn't get it to work so he went back and they also told him about the backwards compatibility and I thought geek squad was just covering there own with this BS so he returned it and got the 760 and it went right in and worked, Maybe there is something to it with the 770 cards. It was a EVGA too.

Dauntae
There could be an issue with eVGA 770s and certain boards but like I said it wouldn't have anything to do with backward compatibility. If it was specific I would assume the same things would also happen with 680s considering they are practically the same cards.

Could be something on the EVGA 770 that has issues with the older PCI-e slots, I think he has a Intel MB (the intel brand not just the chipset) and he had built it so no prebuilt, it's a second gen I7 he's running so might be a issue with evga on the 770.

Could be something on the EVGA 770 that has issues with the older PCI-e slots, I think he has a Intel MB (the intel brand not just the chipset) and he had built it so no prebuilt, it's a second gen I7 he's running so might be a issue with evga on the 770.
I would say because the 680 I have in my machine uses the same PCB you find on 770s and was on an Intel DSX79Si with a matched 680 under it. Almost makes me wish I had the funds to do some personal testing because this stuff is interesting to me.

Has anybody contacted eVGA directly about this issue?

Ok guys. Running into some issues here. First, the connectors seem a bit different for my new motherboard. Second, the cpu fan/heat sink that I had do not fit on this new motherboard. I need some help guys. What is a good cpu fan/hear sink that will fit on the Asus that PP recommended?

As for the rest... I'll be taking it to a repair shop because I have no idea about half of the connectors. I may try making a short video showing what I do know and seeing if anyone would give me any pointers though. For instance, my old mobo had the front panel adapter plugged in differently. It looks like the plug would fit in the com1 port on my new mobo.

Back
Top Bottom