Hello, Am I too old?

Damurack

Beta member
Hello,
I am 30 years old and I do have some experience as an uncertified tech for a couple of companies. I also have worked in Geek Squad. I went to college for under a year in a computer engineering major, but didn't gain much from what I went through there. That was 5 years ago. I currently have a physical job, but my current physical health will possibly prevent from doing overly heavy duty labor, which is what I mostly have experience with. I am interested in the IT field. I have a family to support and no longer qualify for student loans, which is why I only have a year of college behind me. I have an interest in web development and hardware, but I know I can not go back to school. All of my training will have to be self taught. I am thinking about getting my a+ and going from there but don't know which way I will turn to from there. I am hoping that I can find some answers to my questions here.

Last edited:
Definitely not too old. I had only played around with tech until I was in my thirties. I didn't move into a tech-type job until I was 42. I have an Associates in IT (earned in my thirties), but no certs as of yet. All of what I know has been self-taught as my AA ironically did not involve much tech at all (pseudocode and some Java).

Christ, I'm almost 30 and I'm not certified in anything.

I'm real good at other stuff though!

I am thinking about getting my a+ and going from there but don't know which way I will turn to from there.

I am currently doing A+ as my work requires me to have it. Silly thing is that I technically got this under a different course name.
And from there I am going to be doing my Microsoft Windows 7 and possibly Windows 8 certs.
My job requires that I have these.

Another qualification that can be useful to get is ITIL. However having some basic knowledge of what ITIL is about goes a long way in a job interview. Chances are you have been working in an ITIL environments, but not realize it.

I have been an independent tech for people in my area for odd jobs for the last 10+ years. I have held a couple temp jobs for IT companies working as contractors to set up other companies networks. I also have worked for a mass computer assembly company as an assembler and Geek Squad as a repair tech/salesman. I am currently a courier for a delivery company but with issues in regards to my health, I am looking into training in IT after all of these years of being a 'side job' kind of tech. I have no problem with picking up tech books and reading hem since I have always had an interest, my main two concerns are
1) Since I am now 30, when I actually get certified, would I be able to find a job with such a loose amount of experience?
2) Would I want to aim for another cert immediately after?

I also am wondering his due to the time frame of certifications these days.
It does give me some hope to know that others have been able to get into the field as adults past their 20's.

Back
Top Bottom