Updating Video Card and Power Supply. Motherboard question

davidowengaming

Baseband Member
Hello, I am updating a stock HP Pavilion HPE h9-1130 Phoenix Desktop.

I have purchased a GTX 770 (4gb) and an XFX 750w psu. I installed both and when I go to boot my computer, all it does is stay at the blue hp screen and say "Press esc to access the startup menu" but when I press esc it just takes me to a black screen listing my system specs.

The motherboard in this unit is an M3970AM-HP (Angelica) and the latest bios update for this motherboard was in april of 2012. Is the bios the issue here?

If so then do you have a recommendation for a motherboard that would work well with the GTX 770 and the FX-8120 cpu? I've never replaced a motherboard and honestly I'm a bit scared to do so.

The full specs of the pc I have are here HP Pavilion HPE h9-1130 Phoenix Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Support

If I put the old stock HD 7670 back in, the pc boots fine. I have already uninstalled all of the video drivers for that card so I'm a bit lost here. I read that it may be the motherboard and I just want to confirm that.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. This is my first time posting. If it is, please let me know where to post this and I'll copy it to the correct section.

I really appreciate any help :)

Hmm.... If the old GPU 750 works fine - but the new 770 GPU causes a blue screen boot screen , then the 770 is the cause by simple deduction. Not sure why? Try booting to a safe screen - depending on the MOBO you push F5 or another key before the windows screen starts. ... then check for drivers ( either the old one that you thought you removed or the new drivers). You mention removing old drivers so I assume you put in the new Nvidia drivers. Post what drivers you fine. Also sometimes it is difficult to upgrade name brand machines as they will put their software in the machines, etc at factory that causes difficulties - so maybe that is the issue.

Last edited:
Guys he isn't booting, only posting. Since the board obviously recognizes the card do what P says. If you can't find the jumpers then do it the hard way by unplugging your PC then taking the CMOS battery out for a good 10 minutes.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I appreciate the help. I'm at work right now, but I will try that as soon as I get home. I've never replaced anything in a computer before so I'm a bit of a newbie. I'll have to look up how to reset the cmos using the jumpers or even where the cmos battery is. You guys are definitely providing some much needed suggestions. I felt pretty lost when it wouldn't get past posting.

Also, I don't know how to put in the new nvidia drivers without the card in the computer. I tried and it wouldn't let me.

The machine boots fine with the hd 7670 in there. It just has the basic vga under video devices.

Sorry if my terminology is horrible.

Hmm.. wow - obviously I need to get some sleep - I read he was replacing the old 750 gpu with a new 770 - my error - totally wrong . Dam this Prednisone make s me NUTZ as I don't sleep well !! Yes - first the CMOS as PP and Patron suggests.

I took the cmos battery out and left it out for 10 minutes. Still stuck at the blue hp screen. Same thing if I hit esc it takes me to a black screen and tells me my system specs.

Is it because I don't have the nvidia drivers installed? When I try to install them from the disc it won't let me because the card isn't inserted.

Sorry for the newbie questions. I appreciate all the help guys.

Has nothing to do with drivers. If that didn't work then it's obvious the hardware is proprietary and you'll need a new motherboard to use your new card.

I called evga and the second guy I spoke to said the same thing. The first just hung up on me after I waited on hold. I've read a few people saying that the evga cards had the same issue for them and they returned them and purchased gigabyte and they worked fine. Is that possible?

I read that someone else said the 770's are lacking in backwards compatibility and they purchased a 780 and it worked fine.

I would just love to avoid replacing the motherboard if I can... never done it before. But if I have to, what would you guys recommend? I would like to stay under $100 if possible.

Edit: I was looking at the MSI 970a-g26

Would that work fine for my fx-8120 and gtx 770?

Also... any tips for replacing a motherboard? xD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom