Tring to recover Windows.old

Fisti

Beta member
Hello guys,

I need your help here. I have a Lenovo laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium). I have reinstalled Windows 7 into laptop recently, but the installation CD I used install Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptiop, then I found out my laptop's poduct key don't work on the installation process, so I ended with 30days trial of Win7 Ultimate. So I wanted to recover my previous operating system(Win7 Home Premium). anyone's help will be appreciated.. Thanksss~!

If you didn't format you may still have the recovery partition on the HD, I think you hit f12 when booting up, You can do a search to find out how to do that with a search for the brand and model laptop, Also you can download a copy of win7 Home premium using the windows 7 down load tool Microsoft Store and use your key off the label of your laptop if you did format the HD and wipe that recovery partition out.

Hello guys,

I need your help here. I have a Lenovo laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium). I have reinstalled Windows 7 into laptop recently, but the installation CD I used install Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptiop, then I found out my laptop's poduct key don't work on the installation process, so I ended with 30days trial of Win7 Ultimate. So I wanted to recover my previous operating system(Win7 Home Premium). anyone's help will be appreciated.. Thanksss~!

Did you format the drive, or just install over top of the drive? If you didn't format and just installed over your existing install... then (like the thread title you created) you have a Windows.old folder under your C:\ drive. You can copy the contents under the C:\Windows.old folder to a backup drive.

I dont think I formatted the drive. Annddd I forgot to mention that my laptop was in a limited diagnostic state... and so I couldn't login to my account. Now when my laptop starts up, but I couldn't login. It says "The User Service service can not logon. User Profile can't be loaded."

Sorry about the confusion of what exactly is my laptop's problem...

Easiest thing to do (if you're going to be reformatting anyway), is either: hook up your laptop HDD to another computer and copy the files that way... or boot off of a Linux LiveCD (such as Ubuntu), plug an external drive into your laptop, and then copy the files from your internal HDD to the external drive.

Then after you get all of your files copied over, you can go ahead and reformat with the correct disc version for the key that you have.

I tried everything but thanks for the help anyways. I guess I will post a new thread with more specific info and the exact problem

Well if you're still having an issue with it, you can give more details here and we can continue troubleshooting.

I dont think I formatted the drive. Annddd I forgot to mention that my laptop was in a limited diagnostic state... and so I couldn't login to my account. Now when my laptop starts up, but I couldn't login. It says "The User Service service can not logon. User Profile can't be loaded."

Sorry about the confusion of what exactly is my laptop's problem...

I got you covered on this, if the os still boots to login read this carefully.
User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. - Windows 7 Help Forums

I got you covered on this, if the os still boots to login read this carefully.
User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. - Windows 7 Help Forums

Not much of a point in doing a lot of work troubleshooting/recovering the profile is he is just going to be formatting again to install the proper version of Win7, IMO. That's why I just suggested he hook it up to another computer or boot off of a LiveCD and grab his important data from under Windows.old ;). But it's OP's call as to what he wants to do.

Not much of a point in doing a lot of work troubleshooting/recovering the profile is he is just going to be formatting again to install the proper version of Win7, IMO.

Is that so ? explain this to us again?
if his login profile is messed up he can use this link kf he wanted: User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. - Windows 7 Help Forums
Would be juts enough to fix it if any, he can reboot and grab whatever data he is needing.
Then if he needs to repair the os fully by reinstalling 7 "full fomat", not quck format.
It would knock out having to deal with live cds or any other recovery software.
That amount of time would take 1-2 hour, banking on the hard drive isn't messed up. :|
Reinstall of windows on usb 30 minutes or dvd which is 45 - 60 minutes depending on the media he'll use. :/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom