Will I notice speed increase with SATA3 SSD on SATA2 board?

Jayteescout

In Runtime
I found a GREAT deal on newegg here, it expires tomorrow so I'm kind of in a hurry. Aka it's an impulse buy :eek:

Title pretty much explains it, and the web has mixed thoughts on this. Some people say don't even bother with an SSD on a SATA2 board, others say it's just the benchmarking that makes it look bad, and in real world use you won't ever really need 6GB/s anyway. But I assume their talking about day-to-day activity, loading OS, netflix ect. But I plan on using it for the OS + gaming.

Also, my HDD has SATA3 capabilities, so would I notice a difference, because it's running at the same speed anyway? I'm sure that's not all there is to it, I just don't have a good understanding of how it all works.

Thank you guys!

The speed you notice is from latency and no seek times so throughput doesn't matter unless you're transferring large amounts of data between two SSDs. Short answer, if you don't already have an SSD it's a good investment.

These guys talked me into a SSD and I'm on Sata2 and I AM noticing a difference, Much faster and no waiting on a search for a file as long as it's on the SSD. Very good investment IMHO

Dauntae

I have an older motherboard that is only sata II and I had a sata II ssd drive too. When I upgraded to a sata III ssd I got a sata III pci-e card and I do get a much better bench mark, also file transfers are faster too. You can get a sata III pci-e card for around $20. (makes for a cheap upgrade if you need better file transfers)

Last edited:
I have an older motherboard that is only sata II and I had a sata II ssd drive too. When I upgraded to a sata III ssd I got a sata III pci-e card and I do get a much better bench mark, also file transfers are faster too. You can get a sata III pci-e card for around $20. (makes for a cheap upgrade if you need better file transfers)
Benchmarks and file transfers don't really matter if you're on a budget just to get an SSD. If he could spend 20 more for an expansion card then it would make sense to try and at least get a bigger SSD than 64GB. Even if he benched and transferred with that SSD on SATA2 the 285MB/s sustained would be much greater than any HDD setup anyways.

I find myself transferring files more often that I think I was going too, mostly video and some software....for myself personally, it makes some difference. (I hate waiting)

I try to limit my copy pasta on my main SSD to a minimum. Then again the most file transfers I do are games/movie/TV from my incoming drive to the other appropriate drive. Never touches my SSD.

Back
Top Bottom