Help! Disk Read Error!!

Shadow Phoenix

Solid State Member
I need help from people that know what they are doing!

I built this computer about 2 years ago, and actually, got the recommendations from these forums for what to purchase. I have two issues, but I want to address one that is more crucial at this time.

I produce music and game, and I was advised to update my drivers for my video card when I recently opened the gaming client. Now, I do not possess a video card, but I did need to update the BIOS for my mobo (MSI Z68A-GD55 G3) when I ran my dxdiag. So, I went onto MSI.com to download the client, which is Live Update 5. I ran the file and as expected, needed to restart my PC to complete update.

But I received a Disk Read Error! My BIOS menu is also messed up!

I contacted an MSI tech through a form(they have no phone number), and he advised me to try removing the CMOS battery, and placing it back in. I did that, no luck. I went to Walgreens to buy another Energizer C2302, placed it in, still no luck. I switched out the SATA cables to the HDs... still the DIsk Read Error. I even tried to boot from the CD and loaded the MSI drivers/utility disk - nothing works.

What do I do now?? How can this happen from a BIOS update??

My Rig:

* MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3) Mobo
* Intel Core i7-2600K
* C:\ OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD HD
* E:\ WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB HD <CURRENTLY UNREADABLE :( >
* Corsair Dominator GT 8 GB (2x4GB) DDR3-2133MHz
* Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W
* Pioneer BDR-206 Blu-Ray Burner

If your bios menu is messed up after a hard CMOS reset then your motherboard is bricked. GPU driver updates don't = update the bios. If you have no dedicated card installed in your machine then that means you are using the IGP which is built into the GPU. Those drivers are provided by Intel.

If your bios menu is messed up after a hard CMOS reset then your motherboard is bricked. GPU driver updates don't = update the bios. If you have no dedicated card installed in your machine then that means you are using the IGP which is built into the GPU. Those drivers are provided by Intel.

The BIOS menu was messed up prior to me taking any physical actions. It was messed up after I ran the BIOS update.

Now I don't have a Graphics Card or Sound Card installed, so it is purely the Mobo, and its been satisfactory. I know the Driver Update does not equal a BIOS update, but I happened to notice there was an MSI update available for the Mobo.

So I went and did it through the MSI manufacturer website.

Regardless, what action do I need to take? Do I need to take my tower to someone now?? Do I need to buy another Mobo?? Is it terminal?

You need to contact MSI for an RMA of your motherboard, especially if it was messed up prior to the update.

If you can actually read or do anything in the bios (or use the quick boot menu) try booting directly to the SSD. The update could have just changed your boot options.

What exactly do you mean by 'your BIOS is messed up'?

Have you tried running a CHKDSK in DOS?

You can also revert Windows back to a previous state before booting in to Windows by pressing F8 and choosing "Boot using last good known configuration". However you may or may not be able to do so now since it seems you've reset your BIOS and probably restarted a few times. Always worth a try.

If the system was built 2 years ago and it does happen to be your board is junk, you might have some RMA possibilities.

Tried F8 - cannot evade the Disk Read Error.

Well, I got an RMA, so I guess I'm gonna ship the mobo to MSI on Monday.

Thanks for your help guys.

Back
Top Bottom