Help! Just upgraded CPU

RobShift

Baseband Member
Orange light!

Okay, so i've just upgraded my CPU and while doing so, i've also have to install a new motherboard and I also got some more RAM.

Link to thread where I was advised on what to buy:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/new-cpu-269943/

However, when thinking that i've successfully installed my new CPU, motherboard and RAM I went to try it out. I re-plugged everything back into my computer, turned the computer on and was greeted with a steady orange light on my computers power button and monitor.

I then took the case off to find all the fans working correctly.

I haven't installed the drivers for the new motherboard (came with the board as a CD-ROM), but tried putting that in the CD drive, but this didn't do anything.

Any help to get my computer running again would be hugely appreciated, i've just spent £300 on new parts!

Thanks
Rob

Last edited:
Let's get others in on this too.

I've already made sure he has the 8pin connected and that the drivers won't work unless in Windows.

Ok so unplug the HDD and optical drives, take all but one stick of RAM out and remove your GPU and see what happens. (Hooking monitor up to the motherboard)

Bet you it's shorted out.

If What P says doesn't boot, you'll need to pull the mobo and put it on a cardboard box. Then do like P says.

shorting is when the brass stand offs you screw in the screws to hold the mobo in touch parts it shouldn't. As you switched mobo, the old stand offs won't line up with the new holes.

I can't seem to find where the monitor cable hooks up to on the motherboard when the gpu is removed.

Bet you it's shorted out.

If What P says doesn't boot, you'll need to pull the mobo and put it on a cardboard box. Then do like P says.

shorting is when the brass stand offs you screw in the screws to hold the mobo in touch parts it shouldn't. As you switched mobo, the old stand offs won't line up with the new holes.

are you saying i take the motherboard out, place it in a cardboard box, then re install it into the case?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't seem to find where the monitor cable hooks up to on the motherboard when the gpu is removed.

You have a DVI and HDMI on the motherboard. The DVI is the white oblong port directly beside/under the PS/2 mouse/keyboard port. The HDMI is the smaller semi-trapezoid port beside the DVI along the edge (does not have screwholes).

RobShift said:
are you saying i take the motherboard out, place it in a cardboard box, then re install it into the case?

No. Take the mobo out of the case and set it on the box, then try it. If it is shorting then somehow the back it touching metal inside the case.

there's a problem, one of the wires required to boot the pc up is too short to reach the motherboard when it's outside of the case.

there's a problem, one of the wires required to boot the pc up is too short to reach the motherboard when it's outside of the case.

Just short the 2 pins for the power switch together to turn it on. Use a screwdriver, or anything metal to touch the 2 pins together.

Back
Top Bottom