Bought a new SSD, have some questions about cloning

I don't believe that Clonezilla (or any other cloning software) does things differently when cloning disk-to-image vs disk-to-disk which is why I contend that it isn't any safer to do it one way or the other. In either case, the original source drive should remain unaltered. Anything that could possibly go wrong during a disk-to-disk clone operation has the exact same possibility of happening during the disk-to-image clone.

You may feel it is an extra margin or layer of safety but it really isn't. I'm glad you finally admitted that either method is fine, in the past it has been you attacking me for suggesting the direct method and trying to convince others that the image method was safer and that they were somehow putting their data at risk unless the image method was used.

I've had good results using both methods, the image method takes about twice as long but does result in a saved backup (you can never have too many backups).

Last edited:
I don't believe that Clonezilla (or any other cloning software) does things differently when cloning disk-to-image vs disk-to-disk which is why I contend that it isn't any safer to do it one way or the other. In either case, the original source drive should remain unaltered. Anything that could possibly go wrong during a disk-to-disk clone operation has the exact same possibility of happening during the disk-to-image clone.

You may feel it is an extra margin or layer of safety but it really isn't.

Except for the fact in the example I gave, it IS adding a layer of safety.

I have first hand experience with how CloneZilla did it. I couldn't tell you the version I used because it was years ago, and I've re-burned my boot disc several times because I've lost it or given it away.

Like I said, they could have changed the way it works since then - I haven't tried to do a disk-to-disk method since it borked on me, so I've been sticking to disk-to-image.

Yes, I agree, the original source drive SHOULD remain unaltered. HOWEVER, this is not the case in the example I've given.

If the OP uses Clonezilla or a different cloning software, it doesn't matter since they will reboot into another environment in order to read the files. The way you use scare tactics to convince others that if they don't create an image file first they will somehow hose their system is what I'm trying to get you to stop spreading around. Again, cloning directly to a disk is no more dangerous than cloning to an image file as the process is EXACTLY THE SAME! In both cases the original disk is only READ FROM, not written to, so how can the original disk be less safe one way than the other?

You may consider it flaming but I don't since I am just trying to correct falsehoods that you post again and again as fact. Suggesting that someone make an image file first is fine, telling them that they are somehow endangering their original disk if they don't is plain baloney.
Most cloning software does the deed from within Windows. You are essentially trying to copy a working Windows environment in its entirety to another drive which is just not the right way to go about doing things. Why you insist this is ok is beyond me but in no way is it scare tactics to PROPERLY tell people how to go about cloning their drives.

Let me spell it out for you. User clones from within Windows to new drive. User boots into new drive, things look ok, user formats old drive, all old data lost, there is a 50/50 chance that there could be an underlying issue. If that happens there is a high possibility that if the new drive has a corrupted copy the user just wiped all their previous data. That's where the image comes into play. If you want an EXACT copy (which is what you do want 100%) you want to be outside of Windows or like our last argument over this on a separate computer. Why? Because the software will absolutely have access to all files for an image to copy to the new drive. And don't say "well don't format that drive". Most people doing this will want to use their old HDD as a data/storage drive with their new SSD. The stem of most of these threads.

I don't have time to read the rest of this thread, only reply to your reply. I'm not sure why you think telling people the proper way to do things is scare tactics or false but I apologize for the fact that I don't want to tell people the easy way to do things if it could mean the loss of their data. One more thing you apparently fail to realize is by having an image you can use it at a later date to bypass the need for a format and install. Everything is already there, just write image to drive and you're good to go. Making life easier later.

Last edited:
Most cloning software does the deed from within Windows. You are essentially trying to copy a working Windows environment in its entirety to another drive which is just not the right way to go about doing things. Why you insist this is ok is beyond me but in no way is it scare tactics to PROPERLY tell people how to go about cloning their drives.

Let me spell it out for you. User clones from within Windows to new drive. User boots into new drive, things look ok, user formats old drive, all old data lost, there is a 50/50 chance that there could be an underlying issue. If that happens there is a high possibility that if the new drive has a corrupted copy the user just wiped all their previous data. That's where the image comes into play. If you want an EXACT copy (which is what you do want 100%) you want to be outside of Windows or like our last argument over this on a separate computer. Why? Because the software will absolutely have access to all files for an image to copy to the new drive. And don't say "well don't format that drive". Most people doing this will want to use their old HDD as a data/storage drive with their new SSD. The stem of most of these threads.

I don't have time to read the rest of this thread, only reply to your reply. I'm not sure why you think telling people the proper way to do things is scare tactics or false but I apologize for the fact that I don't want to tell people the easy way to do things if it could mean the loss of their data. One more thing you apparently fail to realize is by having an image you can use it at a later date to bypass the need for a format and install. Everything is already there, just write image to drive and you're good to go. Making life easier later.
Have you actually used any other cloning software other than Clonezilla?

No Windows based cloning software I have used actually clones from within Windows, for the very reason you state, which is that it wouldn't be able to copy all the files. That's why they use a Windows GUI to ask the user the questions such as which drive for source, which drive for target, then when they have all the info they require they reboot into another environment such as DOS or Linux and do the cloning in that environment. It is not any riskier to do disk-to-disk than it is to do disk-to-image. I can't understand why you keep saying it is.

In my opinion, what you need is Migrate OS to SSD. More about it, you'd better goolge it. uh, one OS, so in one partition is OK.
It is partition, not portition.
Only one partition is OK, but make sure you can boot from it. So I suggest you backup before cloneing or migration. uh, about backup, I recommend you try Aomei Backupper, which is a freeware. also can do clone. More information, I hope you could visit its website.
Good luck.

Hey guys, i used the Samsung Data Migration software and it worked! Little to no problems. Now all i have to do is reroute some files to go to Drive L, which is my 1TB HDD to get some programs and music to work. Now my next step is to delete the C partition and combine it to Drive L using GPartedLive CD.........or is this not possible to do?

UPDATE:

Looks like I need to do some tweaking:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom