New Kingston HyperX SSD

fallenapples

In Runtime
I've been eager to purchase an SSD. So I got a 120 GB Kingston Hyper X. I installed it in an old Toshiba Satillite A300. Core 2 Duo 2 ghz 4 GB of RAM. WIn 7 Pro.

It boots up in about 25 seconds, open apps without breaking a sweat. However sometimes when I run Corel Paint Shop pro and MS Word 2013 simultaneously, Word lags. This would be memory problem right?

Also I hear a PCs should boot up in less then 10 seconds with an SSD. What are some contributing factors that may lead my 25 second boot time?

I don't know about MS word lagging.
But newer PCs with the latest BIOS (or UEFI) firmware has specific features tailored for Windows 8. The new BIOS with "Fast boot" along with Windows 8. It is possible to get boot times around 10 seconds.

However, seeing as you are using Windows 7 and an older machine, I think 25 seconds is pretty realistic. Coupled with that your SSD is on SATA 2 connection also holds back your SSD.

One other thing I want to point out is some of these people are starting their timer when they see the Windows boot animation starts, not when they press the power button.

Your machine can't really handle the bandwidth due to the limitations previously mentioned. 25 seconds is still better than a platter drive and IMO with any SSD boot time doesn't really matter much.

Overall I'm impressed with it. Everything seems crisp. But when I benchmarked it, it's max read speed was 297mb and its write speed was 197mb. After seeing the 250gb Samsung EVO perform with read speeds of 500mb, I think this will be my next purchase for my main rig.

Overall I'm impressed with it. Everything seems crisp. But when I benchmarked it, it's max read speed was 297mb and its write speed was 197mb. After seeing the 250gb Samsung EVO perform with read speeds of 500mb, I think this will be my next purchase for my main rig.
You're limited by the SATA2 bus on your motherboard. You won't get speeds that fast with any SSD on SATA2. Doesn't matter though like I said. You still get the main benefits of having an SSD. Max throughput is only good for file transfers but 200+MB/s sustained is still better than any HDD setup.

Back
Top Bottom