Setting up my first pc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcgodintraining

In Runtime
Hello all. I am eager to learn as much as possible about computers, given that I finally have some funds avalible to buy components. As I am completely new to the world of building one's own PC, I don't know where to start.

I have between $500-600 Canadian dollars to spend on the case components (Moniter, mouse, keyboard speakers etc are taken care of). I want to eventually have a mega powerfull gaming system that will easily handle games like "hl2" "Doom 3" and "World of warcraft", but for now I am content with playing games "Diablo 2", "Counterstrike" and "Myst 3", so for now, it just needs to run games like that. I know I don't need much power to run those games, but I do need a motherboard that is affordable, reliable and upgradable with lots of room for memory (As I have been told) so that I can upgrade it to be able to play those ubber powerfull games.

What are the steps to building a system? Where should I go to get current, up-to-date info? Any books I should buy? I am all alone in the venture so I don't know what to do. Any and all help and advice will be much appreciated.

thanks,

-Computer illiterate, wannabe reclusive computer guru

Study alot before you jump into it . Its not hard to do and knowing how to go about it before hand is a good idea .
Putting the sytem together no the ins and outs of the Motherboard(Manual) /Setting up your bios/ Installing Operating Systems and Drivers are areas of study.I started out with old computers i found that people throw out along the road.Taking them apart and tinkering with the Hardware understanding how its put together etc...
Theres alot of information available likePC Mechanic
is a good place to start .Copy the files and make your own little study book . For reference as you go .Good luck and enjoy the experience :)

The most effective way to learn would be to open a computer up for yourself. Learn the abbreviation and name of each component, cable, connector, and what they do. Theres also great guides to read upon scattered all over the net. Also I wouldn't try to learn on a machine thats too old keep it ATX form factor(whats being used right now)

www.mysuperpc.com is a nice guide for building a PC. I think it will be a good idea to take your current computer apart and checkout all the parts and how it fits together. You can post a picture on this forum if you are unsure about anything.

o alright. i just got it that it's like 350-450ish american dolars

hmmmm.. How should i put this..

save some more up and buy later. You don't have enough money to buy a decent cpu, mobo, video card, ram, hard drive, cd burns, psu, case. Well, you could get like a athlon 64 2800+, a mobo, value rams, a 9600 XT??? and with case u'll be like at the 500 american dollarish line. With 500-600 canadian dollars you won't be able to get a computer that will "easily handle games like "hl2" "Doom 3" and "World of warcraft"" but if you can save up and buy it later after you've gotten enough knowledge of computers, i would say you will have a fair chance in getting a good computer.

Thanks geo3tech. I figured as such. But I was mainly concerned with getting a motherboard and processor that would be able to handle HL2 and D3 if paired with a high-end vid-card etc, because, as I said, I don't need or want to play those ubber games right away. I want to play Diablo 2 for god's sake! Haha! I want to know if I can GET a motherboard that will be able to eventually run those big games well, it doesn't need to run them right away. Any sugestions?

MOBO isn't what produces the power for games. It's the processor. MOBO's have some helping hands but it's basically how fast your CPU is. Almost any game play diablo 2 so you don't really need to ask for which kind, it's just anything.

Again, it's not the mobo, it's the processor and video card. If you want to get a computer that can play hl2 or d3, i'd recommend getting a video card that is better then a radeon 9600. Anything better then a 9600 will play half life 2 and also it'll play doom 3. It won't be as good but think about it this way, you can play it.

oh yeah. ram. would help too

pcgodintraining never mentioned that he needed ram so i presumed he already had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom