Building a Computer

wyrda78

Beta member
I'm currently in the processes of choosing parts for a desktop PC, though I'm not an expert. Here is the list of things I've chosen, I'm just looking for assessment and feedback of these parts, and suggestions for better ones.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Mobo: ASRock Z87M Extreme4
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ares/Sniper DDR3-2133
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB
Case: CoolerMaster CM690 III with Window
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 520W
ODD: LG Bluray Drive

Estimated Price: ~$2000 AUD

Ditch the D14 for a Corsair H100i. Why put so much weight on your board when you don't need to?

Drop the RAM speed to 1600 to save some cash. Anything above that is pointless.

Change the 290x to a 780 or 780ti. I'm pretty sure Aus has had the 100-200 dollar markup from those cards like we did because of the stupid mining.

You will need a better PSU to power this rig. Start with a Seasonic M1211 620 or Corsair TX650.

OK thanks a lot for your feedback.

At first I was going to get the 1600 RAM, but the better one I've listed is only $16 more expensive. Is it really pointless to get the faster one?

And as for the GPU... I've really been debating in my mind which one to get for days. The 290x and 780 is the same price, the ti is a bit out of my price range. From all the research I've done, it seems that the 290X is faster normally, but runs louder, hotter, while the 780 overclocks better. Though I wasn't planning on overclocking the GPU that much, I'd prefer not to stress out my parts too much. Although, one thing that has been mentioned to me befoe is that the newer games might be better optimised for AMD cards because it's what the new consoles are using. I'm not sure how true this is though.
Oh and I'm planning on running a normal resolution monitor.

Would it be worth getting something like a liquid cooler for the GPU?

And as for the CPU... most people have told me the i5 4670k will be good enough, but then again, there's always this desire to go overboard and get something like an i7 4770K...

Yes, anything faster than 1600 is pointless for literally any normal gaming or normal consumer level production. You can Google for reviews on that simple fact. I did one myself on two sets. You can get the cheapest 8GB set of 1600MHz RAM to save the money where it counts. I know your pickings are slim though, so it's up to you.

As to the GPU the 290 and 290x are both 100 bucks overpriced here. If the 290x is the same price as the 780 over there then that means they both are overpriced. The 290x is the better card in that aspect but even though it's perfectly normal the GPU runs real hot which makes people very uncomfortable. In Uber mode it is loud as ****. As to the AMD more optimized, no. Not at all. Who runs "higher" due to who pays more will still be up to the games still like BF4 runs better on AMD cards due to Dice being in bed with AMD right now. That's why BF4 has the first Mantle support which will not help you at all. Also one fact most people forget, most all AAA developing studios have said PC will now be lead platform so it'll be the other way around...kinda.

Don't think of it as a liquid cooler, but a cooler that does not weigh 10 tons and has that weight centered on the CPU socket of your board. Also giving you the advantage of dumping all that heat directly outside of your case. Both coolers have practically the same cooling ability, just AIO liquid solutions make so much more sense these days.

The i7 is completely pointless for gaming.

The GPUs are both around $650 AUD here. The TI is over $200 more.

I suppose I'll get the i5 then, though a some people have said that some games like the Total War series would benefit from a better CPU because there's a lot of calculations going on.

And another question, would it be worth buying an operating system or getting one through other means? Would Windows 7 home premium be adequate?

Last edited:
Yea that's pricey as hell. I guess in this case the 290x is your best bet. Just when you see it running 95c that's perfectly normal for that card.

It's not more powerful as it's the same chip with HT. HT gives the i7 an edge in programs that utilize virtual threads but games do not. I have an i7 myself and can tell you Rome 2 only uses about 20% of my CPU which is sad. Having an i7 will not benefit you in gaming at all.

You'll need to buy an OS if you Dont already have one. 7 Home Premium is fine.

Sent from my MB860 using TechForums

wyrda78 said:
Ok, here is an updated list of parts I'm getting.

Though I have a few questions.

HDD: Could I get an opinion about the reliability of the seagate harddrives? I've read rviews that Seagate HDDs are prone to failure. And I definitely want a quality one, preferable 3TB or more.

CPU: I was thinking I might get the i7 4820K or the 4770K. Advice?
It seems to be cheaper, and I assume this is because it doesn't come with a stock CPU cooler like the 4770K does? It also says "Most current motherboards will require a BIOS update for the Intel Ivy Bridge-E processors". Should I include this with my order, or is this update something I can do myself?
It also says that the 4820K is 'LGA 2011'. Is this not compatible with the LGA1150 motherboard that I've currently got on my list?
And I know that an i7 is not really necessary, but I just can't resist getting one.

PSU: I wanted to get this one that's previously been recommended: PC Case Gear:, but should I get the "80 plus silver" edition or the normal one? What's the difference?
Motherboard: Is the MB that I'm currently getting alright? Should I stick with getting a micro-ATX or normal ATX motherboard since the case can support both? And keep in mind, I need a motherboard that can support that Noctua D-14 CPU cooler that I'm getting. And of course I had that CPU compatibility question.

And, is a sound card something I'm going to need to buy, or is that integrated into the hardware somewhere? Anyway, thanks for reading this long post.

Since the post was snagged by the automated spam safeguards I figured I would go ahead and quote it for wyrda.

Back
Top Bottom